100th Tour in 2013, where to start?

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Wow, that would be interesting... an explosive grand depart guaranteed :roll: it's for a reason the TdF has never ever been there....

It would also again mean a route like this year, with either a watered-down Pyrenees or Alps early on.
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    Just back from Corsica myself, fantastic place to ride a bike.

If it happens will be interesting to see who wins the road graffiti war - the cycling fans or the separatists :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    FJS wrote:
    Wow, that would be interesting... an explosive grand depart guaranteed :roll: it's for a reason the TdF has never ever been there....

It would also again mean a route like this year, with either a watered-down Pyrenees or Alps early on.

Why would it? From Corsica they can transfer to anywhere in France as presumably they'll have an early rest day (as they did in the current Vuelta). No need for the continuity they had this year.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    RichN95 wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Why would it? From Corsica they can transfer to anywhere in France as presumably they'll have an early rest day (as they did in the current Vuelta). No need for the continuity they had this year.

I'm assuming they'll have just a couple of days on the island and transfer to Nice or Marseille to avoid an early rest day. The distance is nowhere near as far as Belgium-Catalonia. (Did they have an early rest day when the Tour start was in Dublin? can't remember). Of course even then they could do like the Giro this year and get some serous mountains in early on. Or They could chose to drop them in the north. But I reckon both would be less likely.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Wasn't Napoleon born there? Is it some anniversary, does anyone know?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ms Tree wrote:
    Wasn't Napoleon born there? Is it some anniversary, does anyone know?

Napoleon Bonaparte was born at Ajaccio on Corsica on 15 August 1769, died around May 5th 1821. No anniversary on either of those dates.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The Start will be PARIS at what remains of the Reveil-Matin Bar.!
    or as near to it as possible. methinks.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Forget Corsica, how about the fact that they might do a TT on Ventoux!! THAT would be cool! 8)