Dogs

2»

Comments

• m_cozzy
    m_cozzy Posts: 132
    Got multiple kicks to the face the last dog that tried bitting me on a trail. Stupid creatures, I really dont like them :evil:
    Banned from singletrack forum again :-)
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    supersonic wrote:
    Crack them on the end of the nose, hurts like hell and they usually have sneezing fits.

Well that's the owners sorted, what about the dogs?? :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    supersonic wrote:
    Crack them on the end of the nose

That's sharks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Never seen a shark in the woods to try that on
  • yesterday morning at about 6.30 cycling along local route, pass old lady, BANG! f'in big dog jumps out of the undergrowth and latches onto my foot. Unclip, fall off, start kicking the bloody thing in the face with my other foot. Old dear wanders up starts shouting 'come here sooty' and contiinues to do so as she walks past me with the dog still attached to my foot. Kicking didn't seem to be working so I grabbed it's nose and pinched until it started to bleed. Finally let go. Got back on bike, went after old lady 'he's only trying to be friendly' she says as I swear and show her a ruined shoe.
    Thought 'f**k this' so I took her photo, one of the dog and then reported her to the police. Apparently she 'rescues' difficult dogs and I shouldn't press charges. But I have anyway. The dog will be an ex dog and I couldn't give a monkeys.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • I had my laces savaged by a little terrier in Morzine (on the riverside trail heading back into town) the other year - ran up to me looking all small and inoffensive and grabbed the danglind laces of my ride shoe and started pulling.

It was all pretty inoffensive and not too dangerous - I stopped pedalling and just frewheeled along with him half running half being dragged by my foot. his owner called him away and I set off with a cheery bonjourne but he wasnt done - ran round and tried the other sideI pedalled a couple of times and was almost lifting him up but he wouldnt let go. In the end I stopped and let the frankly rather cute french lady get hold of him so I coul dbe on my way - she was apologetic, the dog couldnt actually have hurt me and it was all pretty amusing.

I do worry about big dogs with no leads and a questionable look in the eye though!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Dazzza wrote:
    What do you do when out and about, do you have any areas you avoid, have you had any run ins, do you carry anything to put it off from attacking?
    Must resist...must resist... :evil:

Oh b*llox.

There are feckin dogs everywhere on the Chase. It seems nobody goes there without at least two pointless yapping out-of-control mental nutter dogs bouncing around all over the place.

I've given up slowing down, swerving and generally being nice where dogs are concerned and simply ride straight at them. Some of the feckers are pretty solid but most of them move pretty sharpish when they have to.

Bring back the dog licence.
  • Northwind wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    Crack them on the end of the nose

That's sharks.

I just had the mental image of a shark sneezing

thanks, made my morning that did!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • round here almost all the dog owners are really good! shout hello to them on approach and slow down a little to give them time to hold their dog and everything is cheery.

All it takes is a bit of give and take, a cheers hello and a thankyou.

Apart from the hundred-and-twelvty year old b*tch that attacked us on saturday when we were trying to go up a fairly steep incline on a BRIDLEWAY!

She started shouting that if we touched her precious {snarling} jackrussels she would "Kill you all". Mentalist. A bit of verbal about it being a bridleway and cyclists also being allowed and that she should be able to recall her dogs on command or risk them getting hurt next time and off we went.... :roll:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I agree with most of the sentiments on here that its often the owner and not the dog. I like dogs and generally don't have any issues.

I rememebr two incidents specifically for different reasons.

First incedent I was hacking up a really steep hill in a local park (gritted teeth, granny ring) and this little mongrel starts yapping long beside me off the lead, I try and ignore the thing and it darts towards my front wheel forcing me to stop. I've no no choice but to walk the rest of the way up the hill, didn't even get a word of apology from the owner.

Second incedent was a few years ago when I was just learning to ride with SPD's I was on a cycle path and a young Lab came trotting towards me and stood in front of me on the trail I dithered over whether I was going round it or whether I was stopping, realised I was still clipped in, panicked and fell off. I gave my knee a good crak on the cycle path but I was mainly just embarrassed!

The dog owner (who was a rather lovely looking lady) couldn't have been more apologetic, even offered me a tissue to clean my knee.

So it goes to show like any group of people there are good and bad examples
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • if you look at it from the dogs point of view bikes jave got to be a bit confusing, don't really blame them for barking!!

:lol::lol::lol:
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • I had a dog undo the ankle cuff on my waterproof trousers whilst riding along the towpath... That was interesting!
  • i've had a few run ins with dogs, but only been bitten once.

was coming back through Roundhay Park in Leeds, riding slowly along the path right beside the lower lake.

a springer started running at me from behind and ended up on my righthand side, about level with my pedal, with the lake beside it.

the scally owner was shouting at the dog to come back and I wasn't overly bothered since it was just yapping away.........but then the little turd started nipping at my right leg. I had body armour on so it was more amusing than anything else at first, but then it managed to get a decent grip on my ankle which made me jump.

I swung my leg violently off the pedal with the dog sort of attached and it (unfortunately!) lost it's footing and fell into the lake! It's a good 2 or 3ft drop from the edge of the path into the lake so the poor mutt was having real difficulty getting back out.

the scally owner and his 2 mates started shouting a whole manner of abuse at me and started running the 50 metres or so towards me at a pretty quick pace, so I started motoring and railed it down the 100ft bank down to the car park (if anyone knows the area, you'll appreciate that I had the perfect getaway! you easily hit 50mph dropping down that 45 degrees slope)

i actually felt guilty about the dog, but the amusement of sitting on my bike at the bottom of a barely walkable 100ft drop with 3 scallies shouting abuse at me, realising they had no chance of getting anywhere near me, outweighed my guilty feelings :lol:
  • pemsey
    pemsey Posts: 107
    Worse even than dog fudge on the trail is the morons who make an effort to pick it up, put it in a plastic bag and then leave the f**king thing hanging on a tree/fence/seat etc. I just don't get the mentality of that :!: :evil: :evil:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    A lot of dog owners also have the misconception that everybody wants their 'lovely' dog running at them and jumping up etc., which is not the case. I don't dislike dogs, but I don't want to roll around on the floor with them either. I don't let my kids run up to people and annoy them, and neither do I ride up to dog owners and expect them to be in awe of my bike just because it's something that I have an interest in.
    Plus freakin' one.
  • As a dog owner I agree 100% with the comments about the owners being at fault. Far too many let their dogs run riot when they have zero control over them.

I was out in the countryside with my dog once and as a Cocker Spaniel, it's his natural instinct to dive about the undergrowth hunting for stuff. He was about 100 feet away from me off to the side of the path when I encountered a couple of walkers. One of them muttered to me that I should have my dog under control. At that point I shouted "HARRY....DOWN". My dog immediately stopped moving and dropped flat to the ground, where he would continue to stay until I told him to move again.

I turned to the walker and said "Sorry, what were you saying about having my dog under control?"
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    .blitz wrote:
    A lot of dog owners also have the misconception that everybody wants their 'lovely' dog running at them and jumping up etc., which is not the case. I don't dislike dogs, but I don't want to roll around on the floor with them either. I don't let my kids run up to people and annoy them, and neither do I ride up to dog owners and expect them to be in awe of my bike just because it's something that I have an interest in.
    Plus freakin' one.

Another +1 for Johnny Napalm. I like dogs well enough but I do wish people who have them woud keep them to themselves a bit more.

Dunno if it's just me but lately there seem to be an awful lot of them and their little presents about too.