Carbon Seatposts

wantaway
wantaway Posts: 96
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
I have saved so much money on gear by buying up half of Aldi today, I feel I have not quite fully scratched the itch that I have to spend money on Cycling gear.

I have always quite fancied a carbon seatpost on the understanding that somehow they will make my ride to work that bit more enjoyable.

However, just how much difference do they make? Is the seatpost just another way for me to waste money? I am not fussed about saving weight as myraod bike has mudguards so is hardly a lean racing machine.

so is it a worthy purchase?

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    wantaway wrote:
    I have always quite fancied a carbon seatpost on the understanding that somehow they will make my ride to work that bit more enjoyable.

Not if it snaps it won't be!

I've never desired to sit on something that can turn into daggers if it shatters when I bump up a kerb or something...
  • they stick daggers in your bum???

I must have missed that bit of the advert.
  • prj45 wrote:
    wantaway wrote:

I've never desired to sit on something that can turn into daggers if it shatters when I bump up a kerb or something...

Does a metal one turn into pillow when it snaps? I never knew that.

But I did know that CF is really just boilled sweets in a funny shape. Everyone knows that.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    No difference, just look nice if you've got other carbon bits. Alloy seat posts are often the same weight.
  • I did actually notice an increase in comfort in mine. I was very surprised indeed, but I go over a lot of bad roads, and it really does make a difference. And I can also recommend the seller of this one :o :oops: :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MESELX:IT

Yes, it's a shameless plug, but I had a dodgy alloy one which bent, so I bought an FSA carbon one to use whilst I sent that one back. It turns out that the nice people at BeOne sent me a fancy Carbon one to make up for it. I love BeOne.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I had a standard Alu seatpost, I've now got a Bonty xxx lite carbon seatpost on my Giant SCR3. The difference is that the carbon seatpost doesn't vibrate (road vibration) as much making the ride noticably more plush/comfortable. I would argue that the stable ride aids cadence and pedalling but the more important and noticable differnce, for me and IMO, is that the seatpost doesn't vibrate as much and that is, for me and IMO, more comfortable.

I love the way people mention carbon seatpost and others mention snap as if the moment you place your bum on a saddle supported by carbon you'll be spending time in A&E while matron pulls carbon fragments out of the bum bum....

I'm around 16stone and my bag has on occasion been uber heavy. I have had no problem for more than 8 months with commuting on a carbon seatpost in an alu frame.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    DDD.... didn't you have a similar "discussion" about this recently?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    How much seatpost do you have showing above the seat clamp?

I've got about 7" of non-inserted carbon post on my commuting bike and it has appreciably smoothed out the ride compared to the alu post it replaced.

I reckon the length of your non-inserted post is worth considering before you switch. If it's too short, I reckon the difference in ride from carbon to alu will be minimal.

(I'm definitely talking about seatposts here. I hope that was less awkward to read than it was to write.)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    DDD.... didn't you have a similar "discussion" about this recently?

Yep and there is a weight limit recommended. So I would never suggest that anyone get a carbon seatpost who is heavier than the weight limit.

But I do ride on one and am heavier than the weight limit. Also, the lack of vibration is the difference I've noticed...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    The carbon post on my Genesis took a lot of abuse.

I wouldn't be afraid of failure unless you crash and don't make sure the post is safe.
  • prj45 wrote:
    wantaway wrote:

At least they don't make frames, forks, cars or military aircraft out of the damn stuff.
  • Do cars and planes suffer from the same problem then?

i'd like to see the day when someone turns up at casualty with a military aircraft stuck where the sun does not shine. Try explaining than to the woman at the desk
  • If you don't fancy a 'risky' carbon post but want vibraton dampening, then maybe buy a length of 2x4 and stick it through a lathe :lol:
  • Mike400
    Mike400 Posts: 226
    snellgrove wrote:
    If you don't fancy a 'risky' carbon post but want vibraton dampening, then maybe buy a length of 2x4 and stick it through a lathe :lol:

the handling might be a bit wooden after that.....

ill get me coat.....
    twitter @fat_cyclist