North Wales Trails

Bluemoon39
Bluemoon39 Posts: 168
edited September 2009 in MTB rides
Going to North Wales in November for my 40th birthday epic ride with the boys.

I would like to get in a good days riding - one trail in the morning and another after lunch.
Originally I had planned to just do the Beast at CYB but I've read it's a bit boring in parts so I thought it might be better to do 2 different trails.

I'm used to Dark Peak district riding so I like it technical and challenging but I also like some flowing single track mixed in too.

So I'm thinking:
MBR morning, Cyflym Coch afternoon

I also played with the idea of doing this:
Penmachno morning, Marin afternoon
But I think it could be too much distance for one day - what do you think?

The only other manmade trail I've ever done was the North Face in Grizdale which I enjoyed but wasn't very challenging (Went round twice). So any advice on the above would be welcome.

Thanks
Mongoose Tyax Super 2008 with just a few upgrades...

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    How much is too much riding?

I've done Penmachno in the morning, lunch in Betws y Coed then Marin in the afternoon and it's a nice length for me (just need a change of kit for the Marin because you'll get wet at Penmachno).

MBR + Cyflym Coch at CyB is probably the same as the Beast with the boring bits missed out. I think it's quite a short ride and you'll do Pink Heifer twice (not necessarily a bad thing) The part of the beast that most people find boring is just after the cafe, but you can cut that big loop of fireroad out....
    Tarw + MBR is an OK ride. Tarw gets a bit boring in places and a lot of people don't rate it but it's not that bad (good workout).
    If you're not sure about the Beast, start out on it (start is the same as MBR) and see how you go.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Penmachno isnt technical its just a nice twisting singletrack with some fireroad climbs. Both loops take about 3 hours going easy and allowing for a butty stop. Marin has some real boring fireroad climbs and is a bit techier but still not too hard takes about 1 1/2 hours. Together they make a nice day out about 31 miles in all if I remember right. Both have some gorgeous scenery if it isnt raining.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thinking of Penmachno next w/e. Do I need the susser, or can I continue my love affair with the P7?
    Frank Yates
  • dyls
    dyls Posts: 64
    Cyflyn Coch isn't that long, you should easily do it in around an hour.

How about the mbr in the morning and the tarw in the afternoon? IF you don't mind driving then do the mbr in the morning and drive down to Ceinws after lunch to do the climachx. About a 20min ride in the car to get from one to the other.

I like Penmachno although it does tend to use quite a bit of energy to do both loops. Penmachno followed by the Marin would also be good with lunch in Betws y Coed, but be warned that you'll need a very good level of fitness to do both and as said before a change of clothes if you do Penmachno first as you'll get wet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'd recommend the Beat, it's all the best bits of MBR, which is fairly techy, but great fun, and all the best bits of Dragon's back, basically.
    Tarw is also worth a blast - but being on the other side of the valley, can't be tied in as well with the others - although it is possible to make one giant loop if you're mad.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Thinking of Penmachno next w/e. Do I need the susser, or can I continue my love affair with the P7?

You dont need a full suss for Penmac its all pretty smooth I have done it quite a few times on my On-One Scandal and never felt the need for anything more.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap