What can I shout at pavement pansies?

salsajake
salsajake Posts: 702
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Passed 3 in 5 minutes this morning and now one has just ridden past my window. Makes me madder than RLJs in some ways.

I'm not going to win many fights, and don't want to get in them, which is probably why I don't normally say anything, but what I want to do is demonstrate my annoyance at their breaking the law, inconveniencing people and giving PROPER cyclists a bad name. Ambivalence is no longer an option, so I accept there will be some risks in voicing my opinion, but maybe these numpties/fake cyclists/pavement pansies just don't appreciate what they are doing is wrong. I'd love to be big enough to say "MTFU and get on the road" but they might wait for me the next day (I doubt very much the kind of pond life that cruises pavements on broken clicking Apollos is going to catch me before the next lights).

Is there anything that anyone on here has found effective at getting the message across?

Comments

• What I was taught years ago in the days of the old Cycling Proficiency test (I still have the little triangular pot-metal badge plus certificate!) was "Pavements are for Pedestrians".
  • salsajake wrote:
    Is there anything that anyone on here has found effective at getting the message across?

A good beating?
  • salsajake wrote:

A good beating?

With a d-lock...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    So you're asking advice on the internet for what you might say to people in real life if you actually had the balls?

Sorry, not sure there's a worthwhile answer for that :)
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    round here pavementers fall into roughly three groups:
    1) those too scared to go on the road/parents taking kids to school
    2) grown up ferals who have always ridden on the pavement since they were let loose at the age of 4
    3) postmen

I don't think shouting at any of them is going to help.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Jamey wrote:
    So you're asking advice on the internet for what you might say to people in real life if you actually had the balls?

Sorry, not sure there's a worthwhile answer for that :)

:lol:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Pretty much anything you like really :twisted:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    will3 wrote:
    2) grown up ferals who have always ridden on the pavement since they were let loose at the age of 4
    3) postmen
    4) community coppers

in London anyway
  • Porgy wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    3) postmen
    4) community coppers

in London anyway

And in Leeds. Why do they do that? Faux-rozzer dimwits :x
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Q: What can I shout at pavement pansies?

A: Pavement pansies?
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Try something along the lines of "get off the pavement" or "ride on the road".
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • "Man up, biatch!"

Then, of course, you unleash your enormous display of Quad Power!

(C)(TM) NapD
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I said to one guy who was going quite quickly up Bayswater road on the pavement "Ah no lights, so you think it's too risky to ride on the road, but you don't mind risking knocking pedestrians over, isn't that a bit selfish?".

Or something similar.
  • Porgy
    I had tg walk from West Ham station to Canning Town (shithole!!) at 8.30 this evening because the fire brigade shut the bleeding Jubilee Line down.

Three blokes riding bikes passed me on the pavement and without lights!

I didn;t say a thing cos they all looked quite hard.

glad I don't live out there though - bandit country.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    And in Leeds. Why do they do that? Faux-rozzer dimwits :x

But there is only two of them :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    A cheery "Get on the road you girl" is my weapon of choice...
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    You could shout "Haven't you read Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 as amended by Section 85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888!!"

That'll scare them straight!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    You could shout "Haven't you read Section 72 of the Highways Act 1835 as amended by Section 85 (1) of the Local Government Act 1888!!"

That'll scare them straight!

+1 :D
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    "Your mum not let you ride on the road with the big kids?"
  • prj45 wrote:
    I said to one guy who was going quite quickly up Bayswater road on the pavement "Ah no lights, so you think it's too risky to ride on the road, but you don't mind risking knocking pedestrians over, isn't that a bit selfish?".

Snappy. :lol:

PSCO's on bikes = COBs
  • 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    salsajake wrote:

A good beating?

With a d-lock...

Back to londonfgss with you.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Paul Boateng, Home Office Minister, 1999.
  • I use a mixture of both (more road than path) and quite frankly there are the odd blue sign which enables me to ride my bike over the top of a single parents head, but then it doesn't tell you when this privilidge ends so if I am breaking the law then tough, they should make it quite clear where you can cycle and where you can't, there is no point having a toucan crossing leading onto another pedestrian crossing, what the hell are we supposed to do vanish through a worm hole? The cycling paths in some parts of leeds are just stupid, there are paths that I use simply because they are devoid of pedestrians maybe 1 or 2 a week, and could be better utilised as shared paths.
    The other one I use is because I refuse to try and cross 3 lanes of rush hour traffic where the normal speed of motorists is 60mph in 40 zone and the cycle path is on the other side of the road that starts half way up (idiocy) so i use a bit of path to get to the crossing to get to the cycle path, and if you think I am going to put my life in more danger than is already then I couldn't give a shit really.
  • Porgy
    knappers wrote:
    I use a mixture of both (more road than path) and quite frankly there are the odd blue sign which enables me to ride my bike over the top of a single parents head, but then it doesn't tell you when this privilidge ends so if I am breaking the law then tough, they should make it quite clear where you can cycle and where you can't, there is no point having a toucan crossing leading onto another pedestrian crossing, what the hell are we supposed to do vanish through a worm hole? The cycling paths in some parts of leeds are just stupid, there are paths that I use simply because they are devoid of pedestrians maybe 1 or 2 a week, and could be better utilised as shared paths.
    The other one I use is because I refuse to try and cross 3 lanes of rush hour traffic where the normal speed of motorists is 60mph in 40 zone and the cycle path is on the other side of the road that starts half way up (idiocy) so i use a bit of path to get to the crossing to get to the cycle path, and if you think I am going to put my life in more danger than is already then I couldn't give a shoot really.

Well, there's your defence when the rozzers stop you:

"The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required."

Paul Boateng, Home Office Minister, 1999.
  • To answer the OP: "Careful".
  • Cheers, I didn't mean, as some have taken it, that I want to go spouting off but haven't got the balls to say anything. I don't want to end up in a fight with anyone, so don't want to be too incendiary, that was the point. I reckon a cheery "what's wrong with the road?" gives them the chance to ignore me or give me a reasoned response, if there is one, a la Paul Boateng and the guy from Leeds on here, who has his reasons. But it might make some people realise that what they are doing isn't normal. I can't see anyone launching into a tirade after a query like that, but then you never know, and I'm sure I could just get the hammer down and leave them swerving through pedestrians and across junctions in my wake.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Shout at me. I can either ride on the pavement - to get where I want to go. Or join 1 way system, that takes me 2 miles through a very busy area of Birmingham. Most of my commutte I do on road, I use lights, but yes, in these circumstance I go up onto the pavement for 100 yards.

I generally roll on the pavement, not exceeding more than 4-5mph - no excuse I know - I feel the road conditions route justify my actions.
  • kingrollo wrote:
    Shout at me. I can either ride on the pavement - to get where I want to go. Or join 1 way system, that takes me 2 miles through a very busy area of Birmingham. Most of my commutte I do on road, I use lights, but yes, in these circumstance I go up onto the pavement for 100 yards.

I generally roll on the pavement, not exceeding more than 4-5mph - no excuse I know - I feel the road conditions route justify my actions.

I just might! Is the road complex in question the bit just SW of Five Ways...?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    salsajake wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

I just might! Is the road complex in question the bit just SW of Five Ways...?

Selly Oak.

I can avoid it totally doing what I do. Or drive with with all and sundry through traffic lights, a few right turns at major junctions - etc...........
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    georgee wrote:
    "Your mum not let you ride on the road with the big kids?"
    Love it! :lol:

I usually say nothing. I have in the past had a tendency to not look where I'm walking however. :wink:

Have to be honest most that I do see riding are usually either young kids, coppers or young ladies by very busy roads. Its rare that I see anyone tearing it up.