Deal Extreme P7 torch causes very scary moment(s)

flybike
flybike Posts: 84
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
This has probably been covered before - can't find it using search function tho!

I used my P7 dealextreme 5 mode torch last night to commute home in the dark and bloody brilliant it was too....until I went down a wiggly steep hill (no street light - it's a country road) at speed with a couple of cars on my tail.

At this point the speed and bumpy road caused my torch to change through all the modes, including Off, very rapidly. I was so lucky not to crash into the ditch/barbed wire fence/trees/hedge but I did feel like I had taken a big bag of drugs and gone on a roller coaster. The strobe in particular had a novel effect. God knows what the cars behind thought - mobile disco?

Anyhow - point of story - how can I stop this happening again :oops:

Comments

• rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    I was once out MTBing last winter and my front light's battery had died.

I needed to take a long road which led downhill to get back to the street lit town. I set off, unable to see much infront of me, then heard a car come up behind me. He put on his full beams, and I was then expecting him to pass, but instead he motioned to carry on and stayed closed behind me all the way down, lighting up the road for me. Gave him a thankyou and then headed off. That was pretty cool, as most people usually just try and kill you.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Could you put a bit of tape over it.
  • Wow, that was nice of them. The problem I had was the drivers were holding back (a Good Thing) but I expect it was because they thought I was a nutter, plus with the road being very winding their front lights did not help except occasionally reminding me that there was something (the hedges etc etc.) either side of the road that I was likely to get to know much better in a short space of time....
  • -null- wrote:

Which bit?
  • I bought a Deal Extreme torch last year and it lasted about 3 days. Couldn't get it to switch on after that. I certainly wouldn't rely on one for lighting up unlit roads at night.
  • mzm70
    mzm70 Posts: 123
    I've had DealExtreme P7 torch go intermittantly faulty on me and then it stopped working altogether. I took the end screw that retains the glass off, there is also a rubber seal that holds the glass in place, removing them both allows the reflector to come out. Underneath is the LED, there were 2 screws that I played about with and actually turning them CCW made the thing work perfectly. It might work for you, it might not, I've also seen a number of posts about the spring underneath the on/off switch also cause something similar.
  • As soon as I was back on smooth road (and going slower) it was fine. It's so bright for the dosh I don't really want to abandon it. I know some MTBers use them - how do they cope?! Prob should have posted in MTB section.
    Thanks for your replies though!
  • dsmiff
    dsmiff Posts: 741
    Same problem, noticed mine when hitting it hard. I took it apart and applied greese to all the threads, including the the tailcap - used an old fork to remove the switch etc. Works like a dream now/
    http://www.youtube.com/dnsmiff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Some of the models are better built than others (are about 20 models available!).

The tailcap can be completetly dismantled - there may be something loose in there, or at the top as mentioned above.
  • If you fancy getting another torch entirely try fenix. I bought one of their torches recently and its brilliant.

I bought the Fenix TK11 R2
  • This is quiet common ! A brilliant torch but I think the cost is kept down by skipping QA.

I've bought 2 for myself and 2 more for friends. Out of this 4 - 2 developed the fault you described. Another had a "driver" fault that required soldering.

To fix the intermittent mode try following these instructions:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=227518

Or you could just send it back to DX for a replacement.
  • Hmm, thanks, I'll have a poke around it tonight.
    supersonic - any idea which models are the better ones?
    I am considering a Fenix now - best to have a back up for sure. I currently have a Tesco 3w cree as a back up but it's really not bright enough. Not that I could strap it to the bars at the time!
  • This is quiet common ! A brilliant torch but I think the cost is kept down by skipping QA.

I've bought 2 for myself and 2 more for friends. Out of this 4 - 2 developed the fault you described. Another had a "driver" fault that required soldering.

To fix the intermittent mode try following these instructions:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... p?t=227518

Or you could just send it back to DX for a replacement.

BRILLANT! Will do this this eve. Many thanks :D
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    flybike wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Which bit?
    I'm unfamiliar with the light but thought if it's a slide switch a bit of tape over it may stop it moving.
  • -null- wrote:
    flybike wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Which bit?
    I'm unfamiliar with the light but thought if it's a slide switch a bit of tape over it may stop it moving.

Ah I see, no, it's a push end thingy so not possible.
  • Hi,

The DX torch chages mode by seeing a switch on positive or negatve voltage, my guess is that something is loose in your torch and the vibration of the road was enough to cause a small drop in the voltage and so change the mode, May even just be the batterys jumping a bit within the case or the tail cap being loose. check everything is tight and maybe stretch the spring a bit to give the batterys some more support.

(just making my own using the 5 mode controller from DX)