Numb Hands

simonp123
simonp123 Posts: 490
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I am finding that I am getting numb hands & lower arms whilst riding. This goes if I remove my hands from the bars, or rest my wrists on the top of the grips.

Bike is a fairly standard (just different fork) 2008 Kona Blast Deluxe.

I have had this before on previous bikes, but it is more of an issue now due to riding longer more intense trails where ther is not a straight to lossen the grip for a bit.

Obviously it is a cutting off of circulation, but I'm not sure what the cause is or how to fix it. Is it too much pressure on my palms, or is it down to the angle of my wrists? I'm no biologist.

Anyone have any tips on how I can ease this? Higher bars possibly?
I wear gloves with a little padding in the palms, and have the original kona grips, which offer little give.

Comments

• I suffer from the same problem. Either pressure on your ulna nerve or Carpal tunnel syndrome or a bit of both. I changed my grips to Specialized anatomically shaped ones on my full suss (about £10.00 but difficult to tighten sufficiently) and to Ergon(£20.00) on my hardtail. Lots of companies make them- On One have their own for £9.99 but never seem to be in stock.All alleviate but don't fully resolve the problem. Make sure you set them at the correct angle as per the instructions and go for the ones with multiple or the bigger clamping bolts to stop them sliding,providing your bars aren't carbon and delicate. I take my hand off the bars whenever I can and hold my arm up to my chest flexing my fingers...obvioulsy don't try this on a downhill black run! :D
  • I'll look into those grips. Kinda hard to let go of the bars when you're on a twisty trail!

I do get quite a lot of arm "pump" so could be a touch of Carpal tunnel syndrome, the bane of MotoGP riders.

I also get this occasionally whilst playing guitar which can also be a sign on CTS.

I wonder if a slightly higher rise or more backsweep on the bars would ease some pressure?
  • Check your riding position first - do the balance test; maybe there is too much weight over your hands.
  • Can someone tell me how to do the balance test?
  • Just try rotating the bars toward you slightly and move you seat forward on it's rails have a little spin and see if that helps. It will put you a bit more upright with less weight on your wrists. Also make sure your brakes and shifters are not too high but more at a 45 deg angle.

I'd have a pop at that before spending any cash.
    2002 Ellsworth Isis
    1997 Santa Cruz Heckler
    1994 Cannondale M900
    1992 Specialized Stumpjumper
    1988 Marin Pallisades trail