Hardrock Pro 2010

Psylix
Psylix Posts: 2
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Forum,

Ive just purchased a 2010 Hardrock pro, and although, it seemed like a good deal, i feel I have been let down by the X4 shifters (and the bare cables under the frame are a bit beastly as well.)

Overall, i feel the shocks are great, the brakes are great, but those X4's are really bugging me, in fact, one guy in a forum elsewhere described them as "garbage" [sic] and quite frankly, they feel low quality plastic bits of kit.

As I have had this bike for less than a day now, and the fact that I am new to the whole MTB scene (used to ride road bkes a lot though) maybe I am being too judgmental. Is the hardrock pro a good choice overall?

I'm almost on the point of changing the whole set up for the X9 models, which is due to cost me about £150, which seems mental on a bike that Ive just paid £550 on.

Maybe i just need some consolidation, therefore are the X4's as bad as they feel?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As far as 2010 bikes go, this is one of the better value ones. Spesh has fitted a decent frame, fork and brakes - something had to give.

They are perfectly functinal gears, but not as good as X9 for instance. X9 wouldl probably be overkill anyway.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i've had my hardrock sport over a year, and it has been nothing but reliable.

it's a really good bike :D just enjoy it and don't get hung up on numbers :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    I have X4 shifters, and as long as they change the gears precisely they are good.
    Although my mate's X5 feels a bit better.
  • Spira
    Spira Posts: 14
    I have a 2010 Spesh hardrock sport disc that has X4's. On the whole I think they are fine, a tad clunky at times but no major complaints.
    2010 Specialized hardrock sport disc.
  • I have got an 09 Hardrock Pro Disc - it has shimano gear levers - they do the job without fanfare or style. Do the x4 work? If so, why change them?
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    firstly, even if the x4's arnt perfect, they prob change the gears, you have to pay a load for metal shifters. and x9 would be major overkill, x5 maybe worth the upgreade if they REALLY, REALLY anoy you, but otherwise, dont bother.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Well,those xRam 4... , recently I have bought my wife hardrock sport 2010, and xRam 4 on her bike is a bit of let down compared to my Rockhopper expert SL, but overall I was let down on front derailier, as you have to push lever really far and don't get that precise click when front gear changed, apart from that when you do shift through back-rear gears it may doesn't feel as precise as Rockhoppers, but it still nice solid click thingy which makes you feel good while shifting through gears. Having said that, not sure about you but when time comes I would consider me wife to upgrade to shimano's deore range. Maybe even to XT range if she cooks dinner and treats me every day upto Christmas. I may suggest if you feel the same or been let down on same things, start gradually at least from shimano deore range, as history shows they do a lot of quality bang for the bucks and reliable too. XRAM gear though is posh a bit lighter in some** cases gear, and boy does it cost.
    As some peeps allready suggested, do enjoy your bike ... and when ready start little by little upgrading your gear, all of us do it no matter how high quality gear on a bike, me guess I would start upgrade from that front derailer on me wife bike, cos it dirt cheap.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Comparing a Hardrock Sport to a Rockhopper Expert... well.
  • Psylix wrote:

I'm almost on the point of changing the whole set up for the X9 models, which is due to cost me about £150, which seems mental on a bike that Ive just paid £550 on.

Maybe i just need some consolidation, therefore are the X4's as bad as they feel?

Thanks in advance

If it's jus the shifters you want, i can sell you a pair of X7 shifers for £30 including P&P
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    supersonic wrote:
    Comparing a Hardrock Sport to a Rockhopper Expert... well.
    Well, as in this section majority of us MTB Beginners guess good honest opinion is always welcome. Would like to be Pro but am not lol. But me like the power of E-net, so much of things to read and learn that when you come to bike shop you straight away feel what is sales pitch and what is good honest impartial advice, especially if you' e read so many different opinions that you happen to see a -bigger wider picture- of things.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though