Shimano introduce anti-doping policy

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,481
edited September 2009 in Pro race
This surprised me;

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... opers.html

I wonder how effective it'll be?

Comments

• I see SRAM becoming more popular amongst pro teams. Appropriate really, seeing who one of their major shareholders is. :wink:
  • That is interesting yet it strikes me as defeating the purpose as if this did come to pass then there will be news like: 'Shimano withdraw components due to doping'.

So, whereas before, no one would pay any attention to what a doper rode, now it will be brought to light.

Not a smart move IMO.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • That is interesting yet it strikes me as defeating the purpose as if this did come to pass then there will be news like: 'Shimano withdraw components due to doping'.

So, whereas before, no one would pay any attention to what a doper rode, now it will be brought to light.

Not a smart move IMO.

Not so sure, would you not buy Shimano because one of their other customers cheated at sport?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Not so sure, would you not buy Shimano because one of their other customers cheated at sport?

It's certainly unlikely. I doubt Renault Clio's are going to stop selling because the F1 team cheated.

Anyway, here are Shimano's teams, I reckon only three of them are potential problems:

Euskaltel
    Francaise des Jeux
    Rabobank
    Team Columbia
    Garmin
    Xacobeo Galicia
    landbouwkrediet
    Skil-Shimano
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Well in that case DG, why are Shimano implementing this if not for thinking it will affect their sales?

It wouldn't bother me at all, but the point is they are implementing it because they think it will.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • To show that they're whiter than white, and have a positive impact on their sales?
  • Well in that case DG, why are Shimano implementing this if not for thinking it will affect their sales?

It wouldn't bother me at all, but the point is they are implementing it because they think it will.

They're implementing it becasue they think it will affect their sales positively, I presume. It's a publicity stunt that has no downside for them even if an athlete does test positive. They look like the good guys for an outlay of what?

even if they do stop supplying a team, it saves them money!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    There is no such thing as negative publicity. SO if they have to pull their products from a team due to a rider being caught doping - they get their names in the paper. And as a component maker - no one will assume they had anything to do with the actual doping offence.

So yes - it's win-win for them.

Unless all teams end up having a rider caught for doping and they have to pull their products from EVERYONE and they are no longer in the pro peleton! Then they would look stupid.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Nothing new here - many sponsors have contractual clauses to allow them pull the plug in the event of doping. When T-Mobile imploded, not only did they loses their figurehead sponsor, but also Giant and Adidas.

In fact, it isn't even a new introduction by Shimano as they admit themselves "This anti doping policy is already stated in our ongoing sponsorship contracts ..."

The conditions are all guff anyway.

Pulling the plug if team managment are involved? They've been involved for decades but the UCI don't seem to be too arsed about going after them and Shimano couldn't break the contract without some formal proof of involvement.

More likely released to boost Skil -Shimanos credentials prior to the allocation of next years PT licences.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • bikerZA
    bikerZA Posts: 314
    RichN95 wrote:

It's certainly unlikely. I doubt Renault Clio's are going to stop selling because the F1 team cheated.

Anyway, here are Shimano's teams, I reckon only three of them are potential problems:

Euskaltel
    Francaise des Jeux
    Rabobank
    Team Columbia
    Garmin
    Xacobeo Galicia
    landbouwkrediet
    Skil-Shimano
    Bit naive saying only three are potential problems. You can never tell.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    bikerZA wrote:
    Bit naive saying only three are potential problems. You can never tell.

Not naive at all. Optimistic maybe, but I look at that list and see four teams I have confidence in, two I know little about and two who have had a problem in the past two years.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I think this is a good thing - another big voice that in the sport that is getting off the fence

what's not to like ????
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Well in that case DG, why are Shimano implementing this if not for thinking it will affect their sales?

They're implementing it becasue they think it will affect their sales positively, I presume. It's a publicity stunt that has no downside for them even if an athlete does test positive. They look like the good guys for an outlay of what?

even if they do stop supplying a team, it saves them money!

PR only..apear hard on doping like Garmin and Columbia...most of the management they negotiate with are ex pros and therefore ex dopers ,so they should have left the sport already.