Thoughtful motorists do exist..

Chicane-UK
Chicane-UK Posts: 105
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
You only tend to read the negative stories on here of motorists hurling abuse or running cyclists off the road - and I understand why, as I've experienced my share of idiocy on the roads.

Yesterday helped reset the karma balance a little however. On the way home on my commuting route (and strangely in the exact same spot it happened last time!) I got agonizing cramp in the calf on my right leg. I managed to coast to a stop on a reasonably busy back country road and unclip and stand on the grass verge rubbing my leg and hopping around in discomfort for a minute or two.

Imagine my surprise when, on the other side of the road, a lady (in a big SUV no less) pulled to a stop, window down, and with genuine look of concern asked if I was OK and if I needed any help. I could not believe it! I said thanks very much for asking but that I was OK and she toddled off on her way.

Nice motorists are out there apparently! :)
Planet X Nanolight High Modulus (Roadie) | 2008 Giant Bowery (Fixie)

Comments

• prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    You know she went home and threw a load of kittens in the canal don't you?
  • prj45 wrote:

What, 2 good deeds in one day?!
  • prj45 wrote:
    How nice of her - teaching poor little cats how to swim :D
    time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana
  • I believe there may be such thing as a considerate motorist.

On my route to work in the morning there is a woman who passes me in a car maybe 3 times a week. It's a road with a few bends, but she always waits well back until it is safe to pass and then passes me almost completely on the other side of the road. If I ever saw her stopped I would put my head through the window and give her a great big kiss! :wink: (and then probably get arrested for indecent assault!)
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    There are indeed many good motorists, like 99%, but it's the 1% that are terrible. Lots of really nice people out there, but also rather a few 'unsavoury ones'.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    fossyant wrote:
    There are indeed many good motorists, like 99%, but it's the 1% that are terrible. Lots of really nice people out there, but also rather a few 'unsavoury ones'.

There's no way it's as high as that - I reckon about 20% good, 60% need improvement, and 20% incompetent or b@stards
  • I try to make a point an be considerate towards lorry/HGV drivers: I slow down and let them overtake if it's safe, even if a bit close. I also indicate if it's clear to overtake ahead. Most thank me too.
  • Porgy
    I was indicating to one this morning strongly that I didn;t want to be overtaken - but he did it anyway by going onto the other side of the road - then I was stuck behind him for half a mile wherupon he held me up trying to turn right.

I''d have been long gone if he'd stayed behind me. :roll:
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

Yes, I remember it well- his passengers were Santa Claus, The Loch Ness Monster, a generous Scotsman and an honest scouser. I believe they were on their way to view the rocking horse droppings
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Chicane-UK wrote:
    , a lady (in a big SUV no less) pulled to a stop, window down, and with genuine look of concern asked if I was OK and if I needed any help.

If you would have said yes ... she would have screamed .... " Get a f******* car then like me" and then throw a McDonalds milk shake at ya !! :shock:

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Porgy
    AndyManc wrote:
    Chicane-UK wrote:
    , a lady (in a big SUV no less) pulled to a stop, window down, and with genuine look of concern asked if I was OK and if I needed any help.

If you would have said yes ... she would have screamed .... " Get a f******* car then like me" and then throw a McDonalds milk shake at ya !! :shock:

The McDonalds milk shake was a nice touch there 8)
  • Porgy wrote:
    I was indicating to one this morning strongly that I didn;t want to be overtaken - but he did it anyway by going onto the other side of the road - then I was stuck behind him for half a mile wherupon he held me up trying to turn right.

I''d have been long gone if he'd stayed behind me. :roll:

?

You didn't want to be overtaken? So what? It's not your decision.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    spen666 wrote:

Yes, I remember it well- his passengers were Santa Claus, The Loch Ness Monster, a generous Scotsman and an honest scouser. I believe they were on their way to view the rocking horse droppings

er well some of us cyclists do drive as well ! ...be like sh*tting on your own doorstep not to be thoughtful !
  • I've got to doff my hat to the drivers I've been encountering on my current commute!

I've been shown loads of respect - It's been a nice change to have cars giving me tons of room and waiting patiently for me to pass junctions before pulling out (most notably on the bastard steep climb that I crawl up at 10mph)

It's nice to feel like traffic as opposed to an inconveniance!
    FCN: 5
  • I hope I turned a thoughtless one into a thoughtful one this morning. On the flat, dual carriageway, approaching a roundabout, 20mph, cars ahead going the same speed, me one - two car lengths back of car ahead. I'm in primary position (middle of left hand lane as I am going straight on, don't want to be cut up or driven over by people turning left) and have been for about 5-10 seconds. Car behind decides he wants to be in the gap in front of me, pulls alongside and then realises the cars are braking for the roundabout (what a surprise) so the gap is shortening. He decides to return to the left had lane by inching towards me, I refuse to budge as otherwise I will be squeezed against kerb and possibly driven over by him if he turns left at the roundabout. After 3 or 4 seconds of moving across he beeps the horn as he comes in behind me, so I stop and say "what?" He starts gesticulating and his window comes down and I just say "you didn't overtake me" and look quizzical at him. He shrugs as if to say "fair enough", we set off, go over the roundabout, he waits til I am past some parked cars, then gives me loads of room as he safely passes, no gesticulations, horn, looks, anything. I can only guess he realised I hadn't done anything wrong and he was being a bit of a c0ck.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    It is good to remember that motorists and people just like us.
  • Majority of motorists are fine it's just the odd idiots that shouldn't have a license anyway.
    Same when I'm driving the car, there are some that think they know the rules of the road but don't have a clue and god they are dangerous, can't follow dotted lines or don't indicate at roundabouts, the ones that think they know what the speed limit is but it's obvious that when you have a bicycle up your arse ringing the bell, it's time to read the fucking sign posts and not the bloody speed given by the bloody sat nav, our road is split from 30 to 40 the sat nav sqawks and says 30 for the speed camera in the 40 zone, some people just don't look at the signs and slow down to 25 (arseholes), I'm doing 37 by this point, and I need all the inertia I can get at this point.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    knappers wrote:
    Majority of motorists are fine it's just the odd idiots that shouldn't have a license anyway.
    Same when I'm .....

sadly it only takes one to kill someone
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Yup true enough, mine will probably be recorded on my bike cam when my time comes. That will be lovely for the fwife and kids won't it
  • Porgy
    knappers wrote:
    Majority of motorists are fine.

you say that but there are some things that the majority of motorists always do without fail.

One of those is - no matter how fast the cyclist is going - the motorist will have to overtake - I've not noticed very many who are content to stay behind me on any reasonably long stretch of road i'm afraid - even as last night when i was going 35 mph in a built up area, at night on a narrow road with frequent potholes to my left and a traffic island and on-coming traffic to my right.

Other things the majority do is fail to indicate correctly on roundabouts, undertake, speed up for junctions so they make the light before it goes green, park on the pavement, park on cycle lanes, fail to check their mirror before changing lanes...i;m sure there's more.

I'd agree that there are only a minority who go out of their way to cause problems for cyclists, but an even smaller minority who take the proper care to get it right every time.
  • Porgy
    Roastie wrote:
    It is good to remember that motorists and people just like us.

how many motorists and people just like us do you think?

I like that though - motorists and people. :lol: