Water in my wheels..?

jimmcdonnell
jimmcdonnell Posts: 328
edited September 2009 in Workshop
After my ride home through torrential rain and foot-deep puddles, my Cosmic Carbone back wheel has water in it - somewhere. I assumed it would be in the aero carbon section but I've carefully checked using a syringe through the little drain holes, no blockage and no water. Rotating the wheel by hand causes some post-spinning sloshing, so it's not my imagination. So where is the water? Could it have got into the box section of the alloy rim and if so what do I do about it?

Any suggestions?
Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell

Comments

• xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    Take it indoors, keep it somewhere warm and leave it to evaporate?
    exercise.png
  • I guess I'll take the tyre off at the weekend and have a look to see if I can pin down the source of the sloshing. If water got in, it must be able to get out, shurely? The bike needs a clean anyway.

Still, it's all rather baffling.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Well know problem with Cosmic Carbones - making a heavier wheel even heavier
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Take the tyre off and drain it out of the valve hole. That is where much of it got in.
  • Hi there.

Very common with cosmics... Contrary to what the previous poster said, most of the water comes in by hitting the spokes, then running outwards along the length of each spoke and in through the hole in the hollow carbon faired part of the rim.

There are small drainage holes near the outside of the rim which are designed so that the rotation of the wheel will force the water back out again, so if the sloshing doesn't worry you and you're not racing you could just keep riding around untl the water disperses again. I usually just bring the wheels indoors and let them dry out naturally, unless I've another race coming up in the next couple of days.

Cheers, Andy
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    I had a similar problem with my Cosmos wheels, seams Mavic haven't learnt.
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace