ALDI - WInter Cycling Kit Thursday 17th - Today

seataltea
seataltea Posts: 594
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Just a little reminder today ALDI release their winter cycling stock, I'm still wearing most of last years. Shoes are great for the price as are the trousers.
'nulla tenaci invia est via'
FCN4
Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
CUBE Peleton 2012
Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter

Comments

• Just been. Particularly pleased with my soft shell jacket for 15 quid. Also bought the winter trousers and a long-sleeved top. They all look REALLY good this year. :D
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Oooops just spent £80!

Two base layer tops,
    one pair bib-trousers (hurrah! for like, £13!),
    one pair winter gloves (my enduras were too hot for much of spring but it wasn't yet warm enough for mitts),
    one ladies soft shell,
    two mens soft shells (couldn't decide what size the bloke is, he shall have to choose and we'll take one back).

Good stuff cheers for the heads up!!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Anyone have any luck finding shoes?

Dispatched the missus to buy a set, but according to the local store (Bemmie, Bristol) they were all returned to the warehouse yesterday!
    FCN: 5
  • sarajoy
    Ah, I didn't even look at the shoes - I'd forgotten about them because they weren't obviously on display.... So maybe they weren't there at all (Southmead, Bristol).

The website said they were only available in sizes 8 to 10 anyway so meh!

Bemmie, eh TheBrogueadier? I was in another part of town this morning, but I'm a Totterdowner nowadays, come to the pub some time :D
  • Anyone have any luck finding shoes?

Dispatched the missus to buy a set, but according to the local store (Bemmie, Bristol) they were all returned to the warehouse yesterday!

No shoes up here either. It does sometimes happen that they don't have all the lines advertised. Like your local shop said, they could have been recalled.
  • No shoes in my local store, bib, gloves and LED reflective lights for the rucksack for £21, great value.

At 09:07 there were a dozen cyclists buying up allsorts.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • I shall endevour to pop along to the next Brizzle Social Sarajoy, missed out on Tuesday after hiding in shame at my current fitness and commuting level (I highly recommend not getting a bad case of Glanduar Fever as an adult..) and suffering a bad case of falling asleep on the Sofa!..

Hopefully the shoes will creep out into Aldi at some point, in the meantime I've apparantly got a nice softshell waiting for me at home!
    FCN: 5
  • sarajoy
    Don't be ashamed of fitness, and I keep defecting back to the car at the slightest hint of wanting the car after work in the evenings so we're not all the superfast types - I /rarely/ scalp anyone... In fact often I let people past because they look like they /might/ be faster than me...

Ouch on the glandular fever - little did I know I carried it, and gave it to the new boyfriend (at the time) last year - poor sod didn't have much of a summer.

I'm fighting temptation to creep out right now and get my Aldi haul from the boot and try it all on... maybe I'll treat myself to doing so after lunch, hrmm...
  • Having a "wooly moment" here!

Would I be right in thinking the shoes, although advertised as Shimano SPD, would fit my Time ATAC cleats as well?

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11210.htm

Tempted to buy a set of almost all the bike gear except the gloves, unless someone can tell us bad experiences of particular items...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • The only bad experience I have had was with a gillet where the zip broke prematurely.

The gloves are OK as they are quite thin. I have some ultra thick Specialized ones which are just too warm.

I wanted some new shoes as my 4 year old ones are my favourites for commuting - they aren't in at Nottingham either. Someone said before - they look like football boots, but I can fit my insoles + 2 pairs of socks in them easily.

Got two pairs of overshoes - old ones are very tatty + zips are bust, though lasted 2 years.
    1 pair of trousers.
    1 winter socks - not tried these before.
  • Ooooooh want! Might go to Hounslow's Aldi and see what's there!
  • Could someone post a comment/mini-review on the LED reflective lights? Been looking for something I could attach to my backpack. I was going to get the Fibre Flare lights, but the ones from Aldi are a lot cheaper.
  • shoes were pulled in ireland due to quality control fault, same in uk i guess
  • artaxerxes wrote:
    Could someone post a comment/mini-review on the LED reflective lights? Been looking for something I could attach to my backpack. I was going to get the Fibre Flare lights, but the ones from Aldi are a lot cheaper.

I bought LED lights not shown on the website. A £3.99 pack of four LED 3M Scotchlite reflective velcro backed expandable fabric strips comprising of a lithium battery and four red two mode LEDs. They are remarkable value working out at £1 each, designed to fit around your wrist or ankle but I have wrapped one around the back on each of my rucksacks.

They are a bargain at the price.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • Cheers, I'll head down to Catford and check them out.
  • Aldi ? Tut Tut. What would the Rapha brigade think :lol:

(PS. I do not own any Rapha kit)
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Dog Breath wrote:
    Aldi ? Tut Tut. What would the Rapha brigade think :lol:

(PS. I do not own any Rapha kit)

I bought a soft shell jacket, long sleeved to and padded trousers for £34. Would I get Rapha socks for that? :lol:
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    seataltea wrote:
    Just a little reminder today ALDI release their winter cycling stock, I'm still wearing most of last years. Shoes are great for the price as are the trousers.

Retailers seem to have a knack for putting this stuff out into their shops a week BEFORE I get paid. It's usually all gone by payday. :cry:
  • I got the florescent waterproof (supposedly) jacket… Water proof over trousers, hat and over boots and waterproof gloves… Complete outfit for just over £40…
    It remains to be seen quite how shyte it’ll all be but if it gets me through all but the worst I’ll be a happy chappy… :D

I’m going to pop into Blacks or Millets on Saturday and see if I can get some kind of water repellent spray or wax or whatever to boost the gloves and over boots. That should help… I’ll try the jacket tomorrow and see how sweaty it makes me compared to my usual windproof…

I was actually going to spend about £140 on a top notch Endura water proof jacket so getting this lot for £40 should put a smile on face for a change (you’d think…)

:shock:
    Why are you laughing..? I'm not laughing...

14 year old Rocky Mountain Hammer S, still going strong, now on slicks...
  • I’m going to pop into Blacks or Millets on Saturday and see if I can get some kind of water repellent spray or wax or whatever to boost the gloves and over boots. That should help…

I read somewhere that washing a jacket in Comfort fabric conditioner makes it waterproof.
  • Bibs, jersey, softshell jacket and waterproof jacket for £56! Not much stuff left in the Brighton Branch though, I got the last mens large waterproof jacket and picked up the last overshoes in size 10 for a work collegue!

Don't think the softshell is particually waterproof as none of the seams are taped (neither are they flat stiched either but what do you expect for £15?).
  • sarajoy
    Don't think softshells are ever supposed to be waterproof, really - least I hope not - I've got it so that I can avoid using my boil-in-bag yellow altura wotsit until it's REALLY cold...

I tried everything on, anyway. All fits beautifully!! OK so the bib-tights were the only things I couldn't try on in-store, but I'm SO pleased with the fit - AND at size 12-14, I get to be a MEDIUM!! Hurrah!

The wicking base layer tops are very nice too. Still confused as to when to wear them, they supposed to keep you cool and dry, or warm and dry, or what? Both? I got two anyway despite not really knowing...

EDIT: I hope come the spring that they'll stock bib-shorts for girls too, I'd buy several!
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Don't think softshells are ever supposed to be waterproof, really - least I hope not - I've got it so that I can avoid using my boil-in-bag yellow altura wotsit until it's REALLY cold...

I've always seen them as a waterproof but not as waterproof as a hardshell (showerproof maybe?). However I come from the 'walk up a mountain' background and if it can't withstand water to an extent then its not a 'shell'! :)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I completely forgot about this, meant to pop down :(
  • -null- wrote:

Run like the wind! NOW! :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    -null- wrote:

Run like the wind! NOW! :lol:

Or go to a fat, unhealthy city - still loads in Bradford :lol:

I got the winter jacket, two winter jerseys, a set of the baselayer underwear and a couple of pairs of socks. The gloves had far too short fingers for me in any size.

I did note that the jerseys are smalls and the jacket is a medium (and very slightly shorter than the jerseys) so the sizing seems a bit inconsistent but I have some good commuting kit for £55.

May return tomorrow to check the bibs given Saras vote of confidence.

TBH, the quality seems excellent for the money - excellent for quite alot more. The tops have the sticky rubbery stuff on the lower edge to minimise riding up and there are three rear open pockets plus a zipped pocket.

The fluoro waterproof looked a bit builders site to me and I don't think I need waterproof trousers.

Also, 30 day guarantee incase you don't like.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Got some bib-tights, just one pair, but they look quite good. God knows whether they'll fit my oddly-proportioned frame, but meh.

The ladies tops were all red, which I don't care for, and the ladies jackets were really short-sleeved. Odd. The mens ones were too man-shaped!

Also their gloves are horrid, just horrid.
  • Better half (cycling rookie) got treated to a winter jacket; waterproof trousers; set of 4x LED/hi-vis bands.

I treated myself to a cycling top; waterproof trousers; set of those bands; skull cap and overshoes; 4x winter socks; set of spanners including the 15mm I need for my rear wheel nuts.

Despite being comfy and warm, the winter jacket did my developing winter spare tyre no favours, so decided against. Getting there this afternoon, some stuff had gone in my size, no surprise really in a popular cycling city.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I shall be taking back the medium mens bibs to the W-s-M store tomorrow, but keeping the smalls which fit much better (but not as good as the DHB's). Their shorts are pretty comfy and the chamois looks much the same, so for £14 they're definitely worth a punt.
    us0.png
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    The high viz bands were a bargain. Got a pair of socks and a compression base layer (left over from a few weeks back) as the base layers were only Large or XL by the time I popped in. The compression top is a good fit, long body and arms.