What would you build out of these parts and this budget?

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I had the GT ID 4, and got rid of it for my Zaskar Carbon. I liked it a lot, but I just like light weight! 6.4lbs with shock for the frame was respectable though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I think the last one I rode was maybe a 3? Or some variation thereof with millions of numbers in the name. Quite different to this one :lol: It had Sids, proper oldschool Sids made out of wet pasta, more sideways travel than vertical.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    Hah, yeah, it absolutely shone at glentress... It's like having a little switch that says "braking bumps- on or off". Very nice indeed. Not as good as the Zesty 514 I rode there a while back, but a lot more involving on the trail, the Zesty was frankly too good, on the GT I still felt like it was me riding not the bike. Very nice indeed. It does feel its weight though, it's perfectly managable but noticable.

I think I said before, but it rides surprisingly like my Soul, it's got a fairly similiar have a go feel and the handling on the flat or on moderate descents is pretty similiar. it feels really natural and comfortable already.

Only annoying thing is that the inner ring and the Idrive link are just perfectly chain width apart, so if it loses the chain (and I was riding with no front mech, so it happened a couple of times) it's not too good. Oh, and even with the damping one click from max, it still kicks back fairly hard, pretty clonky/knocky suspension action- though it doesn't hurt the ride much. The shock's the culprit here, it has a load of clicks of damping but as far as I can tell it goes None-none-none-none-none-none-not enough-too much.

Still not sure about it... It does what it does very well, I'm impressed- it's sort of a full suss for people who like hardtails, I think. But still, I'm not that happy with the front end, or geometry... I didn't ride some bits that I'd ride on the Soul, not because it couldn't- I guarantee it could, easily- but because it doesn't have the same confidence inspiring feel despite having the exact same parts. It just simply doesn't feel as happy pointed down a steeper slope. So, no criticism of the bike but I'm not sure it's going to be the one for me in the longer run. But I'll be giving it a few more cracks. And my new Revs have arrived. Along with a front mech :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd have the shock looked at - better rebpound control will make a big difference!

Yeah, they sort of are FS for people that like HTs - the Idrive mechanism works really well in that respect.
  • Northwind
    Mmm, the shock's an Ario so I don't think there's much room for tuning on them... It's working fine I reckon, just that it's not very good. But it doesn't actually spoil the ride, just means it doesn't feel (or sound) too great but it still works. Not too bothered about that, just kind of wish I had the Fox version. Never mind.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind
    One final update on this... Fitted the 140mm revs today, and I've got to say, whoever thought it was a good idea to sell most of the versions of this bike with 130mm was an eejit, it's miles better with 140mm and a short-ish stem. Handling is still sweet as anything, but it's so much more confidence inspiring down steeper stuff. All IMO of course but it's just made such a difference.

So, yeah. I like this quite a lot. I don't think I'd like the standard package with the Recons and the heavier kit but it's still under 30lbs even with the maxle revs, it handles really nicely, and it's pretty damn capable. I think I still prefer the Soul, but it's closer than I'd expected.

Oh, and Deore mechs do fit it :lol: Apparently only X5 which doesn't.
    Uncompromising extremist