is there a bad batch of boardman sport mtb's

jasons1976
jasons1976 Posts: 16
edited September 2009 in MTB general
hello i was just wondering how many people have a boardman sport mtb and what issues you maybe experiencing.i have had one for 5weeks and 4 of those it has been at my local halfords with an issue of not being able to select 9th gear while riding,they have changed everything,shifter,cable,rear mech,cassette,chain and today they even tried a new frame.but fault is still there,it is getting beyond a joke now.there are 2 replacement bikes at another store which i was going to have to replace mine but they have the same fault,has anybody else heard of a problem.

Comments

• I have heard of a few build quality issues with Boardman frames from a couple of guys from Halfords, not sure which frames they were though, I should really pay more attention...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    jasons1976 wrote:
    hello i was just wondering how many people have a boardman sport mtb and what issues you maybe experiencing.i have had one for 5weeks and 4 of those it has been at my local halfords with an issue of not being able to select 9th gear while riding,they have changed everything,shifter,cable,rear mech,cassette,chain and today they even tried a new frame.but fault is still there,it is getting beyond a joke now.there are 2 replacement bikes at another store which i was going to have to replace mine but they have the same fault,has anybody else heard of a problem.

bet they forgot to change the mechanic.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mottles
    mottles Posts: 203
    My mate picked up his comp last week and we took it to the wall in afan. On the second too last section he discovered on the climb he couldnt select the lowest gear (9th cog).

He thought the chain had come off so we stopped and looked and found the actual cog had split in half!

Once home it took it back to halfrauds and they replaced the cassette. Seems abit odd it happened on his 1st ride on it.. bear in mind he was going very slowly so didnt hit it or anything. Maybe there is a fault in the cassettes?
    Specialized Pitch Comp - Mr Glass' Monster
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 3#16136203
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    jasons1976 wrote:

As Nick says the problems with the mechanic not the bike.
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    mottles wrote:
    My mate picked up his comp last week and we took it to the wall in afan. On the second too last section he discovered on the climb he couldnt select the lowest gear (9th cog).

He thought the chain had come off so we stopped and looked and found the actual cog had split in half!

Once home it took it back to halfrauds and they replaced the cassette. Seems abit odd it happened on his 1st ride on it.. bear in mind he was going very slowly so didnt hit it or anything. Maybe there is a fault in the cassettes?

Cassettes are all pretty standard though so that surely cant be Boardman's fault.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • mottles
    mottles Posts: 203
    Skonk wrote:
    mottles wrote:

Cassettes are all pretty standard though so that surely cant be Boardman's fault.

Good point
    Specialized Pitch Comp - Mr Glass' Monster
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 3#16136203
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Could an out of square frame cause this gear problem? The frames really need measuring if it is happening on more than the odd one.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Regardless of the fault. The mechanic is the problem for not spotting the cause.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    captainfly wrote:
    Could an out of square frame cause this gear problem? The frames really need measuring if it is happening on more than the odd one.

Probably, but I imagine it would effect more than just the ninth gear!
  • 9th gear...on a climb?

Moving on - An 'out of square' rear end shouldn't cause this problem because the relative position of the mech to the cassette would be practically identical. The distance that the non-drive dropout would need to be out by to cause problems because of axle angle relative to the direction of travel is hyuge. HY-UGE.

I'm siding with the guys above, sounds like the spanner waggler missed a trick. You're right it seems a bit odd that this has taken so long to resolve, at least it wasn't mail order hmmm?
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    adjusting the limit screws and pulling the cable tight isn't exactly rocket science though is it
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Tight? I'd have thought loose.

Aaaanyway, for a frame defect to limit your shifting performance, the der. tab will have to be in a different place to where it is supposed to be, relative to the dropout. This should be glaringly obvious if the frame is indeed wrong - they would be out of line vertically, looking like a bent/twisted hangar.

The only other thing I can think of besides bad adjustment would be if there wasn't enough axle protruding from the drive side of the wheel, making the smallest (9th) cog too close to the frame. Again, an easy spot.

I'd be interested to hear when and how thisw gets resolved. Jason, please let me/us know.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the 9th gear engage when on the big ring? If trying to use the small/small combo it may try and skip back to the 8th cog. Bad gear.

My guess is that the outer cables have not been cut correctly, resulting in lots of friction.
  • no it doesnt engage when on the big ring,well it does when it is the bike stand,but when i am riding it it doesnt want to select 9th.according to halfords they have replaced both inner and outer cable.
  • supersonic
    Does it skip, is it trying? When it does this, get off the bike and have a look at the mech alignment from behind.

Can you push the mech further towards the dropout be hand?
  • i couldnt tell you as i only rode the bike home and then took it straight back and it has been there ever since and that was 4 weeks ago,when i took it back the mechanic put it in the stand and checked it over he said the rear mech was bent,so he removed mech and straightened out hanger and refitted and adjusted,like i say all ok in stand but with me or anyone else on bike it will not go into 9th gear.i have requested a new bike but boardman cant supply me the sport model until november,so i am pushing for the next model up for no no extra cost,which my local store have in stock in my size.
  • supersonic
    They should have fit a new hanger really if it was bent.

I'd do what I suggested - it will give an idea what is wrong. Also if you can, post a pic of the mech from behind when in this gear.

You could of course have a go at tuning the mech itself. Yes, it should work from new and all that, but you can't expect it to run like clockwork for ever - you will need to carry out routine cleaning, maintenance, checks and adjustments to the bike regularly. Learning how to adjust gears isa great skill to have.

Park tools has a simple step by step guide - take a look and have a go.
  • supersonic
    It has been in the shop FOUR weeks and is still there?!!
  • yes you read right 4 weeks,i have only ridden the bike once and that was from the halfords to my home.when i took it back i put it on the car.i have forgotten what it looks like it has been so long.
  • supersonic
    That is unacceptable by anyones standard on a new bike. What the hell are they doing with it?!

I'd ask for refund as you reported the problem very early. A refund due to their incompetance, as the bike very good.
  • Your idea of demanding a bike that works ie next model up that is in stock sounds like a fair solution to me, have you spoken to the store manager?
  • store manager is useless,i am speaking to the head of customer services who keeps saying he will call me back but never does,also talking to alan ingarfield of boardman bikes who is very helpful and apologetic.i was promised a result today,and surprise surprise nothing so back on the phone tomorrow.
  • Has he checked the rear cassette locking ring is tightened up on my bourdman pro HT the cassette locking ring was loose causing all sorts of gear problems.
  • i can only assume so as they have changed the cassette and tried 2 new wheels.
  • cant understand what would cause it as it is very simple to set up a rear mech it is a 9speed shifter?
  • yes it has sure got me baffled.
  • supersonic
    It is simple. At least they should no why it doesn't index.

The problem here is incompetance of the store to seek a solution in a reasonable amount of time.
  • just to ley you know i took delivery of a brand new boardman comp model yesterday,to replace my faulty boardman sport at no extra cost,took it out today and it is fantastic.thanks to everybody for there replies.i have asked to be kept informed if they ever find a solution.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Shouldn't have taken that long, but a bit of a result for you I suppose. It's disappointing the way some stores are run, a problem that should have been sorted quickly turned into a 4 week farce!.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."