SeeSaws

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Maybe not entirely MTB beginner, but certainly a beginning question for me as I've never done these things before.

So, how would one do these? :D

[edit: pic removed by request. Suffice to say it's a see-saw, somewhere in Surrey]

Noting that I'm not a freerider, but like a little bit of northshore, and potter around on an all rounder full-sus.

Comments

• Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    As far as I'm aware, ride up, find the balance point to where it starts tipping over, and then roll down the other side (pedalling or not, your choice mate)

I could be wrong, others may have better advice, but thats how I approach them.. Its all about balance..

Where is that pic taken, anywhere near woking?
  • Anonymous
    edited October 2009
    I was wondering if you should use the brakes or not. My fear is falling sideways when I get to the balance point! or otherwise go too fast and take off or something :D
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Depends how comfortable you feel riding up it.. maybe a touch of the brakes if it helps you balance out at the mid-point (if that makes sense?), or if you've taken it too quickly, but that one doesnt look too high, so you should be alright to get a foot down if you do start heading sideways!! :) Practice makes perfect.. good luck!

It looks like a great one for practising before heading Esher way mate.. cheers for the info on location too.. thats actually not too far from where I work... :D After-work playtime methinks!!
  • I'd ride it with flats first , just incase you need to stick a leg out to balance, don't think it would be that tricky though, and if you do it slow at first you'll only suffer a comedy bail rather than a serious stack.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i'd probably go round it :lol: :oops:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • lawl
    lawl Posts: 132
    I wana try these!
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    The trick to a see-saw is definitely to slow down as you go over the fulcrum (pivot point). If you don't you'll end up at the "high" end before the thing's had chance to reac tand you'll go down with a heck of a bang!!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Yeah just take it easy. Too fast and you'll fly off the end (which can be fun), too slow and you will fall off. Just ride up it like you would ride up a slope and then slow as you approach the tipping point, let the teeter swing down and then ride down. Oh and stand up.

Easy squeezy cheesy peas.
  • Anonymous
    I'd ride it with flats first , just incase you need to stick a leg out to balance
    All I've got anyway. Not keen on locking my feet in :D.
    flamedude wrote:
    Oh and stand up.
    Ah! Could be a key thing there. I have a habit of remaining seated and yeah thinking about it, when I see others they stand up for these kinds of things.

Thanks all. Just need the bottle to try it now :D.

Just before the see-saw there's a very narrow bridge thing over two raised mounds which I also didn't try. I managed the other bridges including a fairly narrow one, but this was barely the width of my tyres. Still, must try it some time.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    flamedude wrote:
    Oh and stand up.

Not necessarily. If you stand up you put your C of G higher up - more chance of overbalancing.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Hey Deadkenny let me know when you next go over there ! maybe meet up this is where i go quite often , done the see-saw a few times , even done it on the 1st attempt but f@@k that really narrow bench just before it :lol::lol::lol:
  • dave_hill wrote:
    flamedude wrote:
    Oh and stand up.

Not necessarily. If you stand up you put your C of G higher up - more chance of overbalancing.

You're right about C of G, It would definitely move up higher when standing up. But sitting down means you can't shift your weight or the bike around easily, you'd have lower C of G but significantly less control. When I get tired when riding the shore I sometimes buckle and sit down and everything becomes 10x more difficult. Thats normally when I realise having a few minutes rest is worth taking.
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    My tip is to realise that the tipping point is often much further along than people realise. They slow down too soon and hence fall off - you might find that your front wheel is practically at the end of the see saw before it starts to fall.

Only other tip is too look beyond the obstacle as always, not at the end of the see saw!

They are actually very easy.
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • I've never attempted that really skinny section before this see-saw. It scares me! This see-saw is nice though. I usually reach it at speed, freewheel the final approach so I can straighten myself up and fly off the end. It really is quite easy (and I'm not the jumping type!).