Fully Waterproof or Windproof Showerproof Jacket for tour???

spocky
spocky Posts: 67
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
I have a Montane lightweight windproof and showerproof jacket which I love.

Am going on a 3 day 240 mile tour in the Scottish Borders at beginning of October

Will be travelling light

I would like to take only this as it is so lightweight and breathable and packs up into the size of an apple.

However maybe I should take a fully waterproof jacket. The only one I have does not pack up very small though

Any thoughts??

Any suggestions on cheapish packable waterproof?

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you were doing this in the summer I'd say your Montane would be fine, but in October it could be pretty chilly and in continuous rain you would get wet and cold pretty quickly. Is it a Featherlight? I now have 4 Montane jackets and I really rate them, but the Featherlight and even the Featherlight H2O are IMO only good for summer or for short journeys (such as commuting) when its colder. I'm guessing you could be up on some fairly exposed moorland at times so I'd definitely recommend a proper waterproof.

I recently bought a Montane Velocity DT from Evans for only £55. Its a proper waterpoof, pretty breathable and packs small enough to fit in a jersey pocket (nowhere near as small as the Featherlights mind). For £55 they're a steal IMO.

What's your route? I'm from Hawick so now the are well....
    More problems but still living....
  • amaferanga wrote:
    If you were doing this in the summer I'd say your Montane would be fine, but in October it could be pretty chilly and in continuous rain you would get wet and cold pretty quickly. Is it a Featherlight? I now have 4 Montane jackets and I really rate them, but the Featherlight and even the Featherlight H2O are IMO only good for summer or for short journeys (such as commuting) when its colder. I'm guessing you could be up on some fairly exposed moorland at times so I'd definitely recommend a proper waterproof.

I recently bought a Montane Velocity DT from Evans for only £55. Its a proper waterpoof, pretty breathable and packs small enough to fit in a jersey pocket (nowhere near as small as the Featherlights mind). For £55 they're a steal IMO.

What's your route? I'm from Hawick so now the are well....

I'd agree, I've got the featherweight h2o, it's great for commuting and day rides when you're not expecting a constant downpour, but in a proper downpour it soon wets through and you can become cold quickly.

I really notice the difference between a showerproof, and the lightweight h2o montane (it does actually claim to be a waterproof, than a proper waterproof - I've got a Gore Paclite jacket ,and that is super in the wet without ever leaking at all and still not weighing a great deal.
  • Any suggestions on cheapish packable waterproof?
    Mmmm unfortunately that combination is difficult one. As I mention above I've a Gore Paclite jacket, which I really rate but wasn;t cheap. I notice this eVent jacket at Wiggle, seems to have good reviews and the eVENT fabric always seems to have good write ups:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/dhb_W ... 360037016/
  • Agreed with the above - the difference between touring and 'normal' cycling is that sometimes you have to stop for a while without being able to change your clothes. If its cool or windy and water has seeped through your outer layer, then you will be very cold and miserable. So on tour, you really do need something very waterproof, unless the weather is very mild. Breathability is a bonus, but not always possible on a budget.

On a budget, you might want to try something from www.groundeffect.co.nz, they do some basic but effective water proofs. Maybe even an old fashioned rain cape if you aren't intending to go too fast or cycle in high winds.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    for its weight you could justify taking the montane as a warmth layer ( I know not much insulation , but it does have some effect) and if you are lucky it will be all you wear. I would not go without waterproof jacket and trousers. if you get a long period of cold driven rain being underdressed will be horrid or even dangerous. I went in june and took the best waterproof I have and it got worn a lot , especially for relaxing in the evenings because of its warmth.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • BE1
    BE1 Posts: 27
    For touring I used a Cannondale Morphis, until I lost it :(

It is not the lighest or the most breathable but it is waterproof and convertibe into a gilet. This flexibility made it very useful on tour: full jacket in heavy rain gilet for a light shower or windy conditions and I would imagine that October time in Scotland would see a gilet coming in handy. PBK have a special on at the moment, provided of course you are a more or less than average size.