Anyone notice the morning commute takes longer than evening?

Neil Holland
Neil Holland Posts: 109
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
Despite the morning ride being down hill I seem to take longer heading into town than out...

Empty stomach I guess...

Comments

• I take longer heading home, but it is more uphill than downhill. Mush faster into town, think it is motivation to get my breakfast, and as I go in quite early, traffic is lighter.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Can't put my finger on why... Often fully 10% slower than the first week I started cycling on the way in and 20% quicker on the way home. Very odd. A banana before the ride doesn't help...

I recall from my marathon training days that the 06h30 8 milers were always slower than the 19h30 ones.

Hey ho...

N
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    My morning run is far quicker than my evening run.

Defo a morning person.
  • Hmmm, road's are too different when coming from the other way to make a call. I would have thought I'm faster going home than going to work tbh.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • oxoneil
    oxoneil Posts: 147
    I'm always quicker in the morning as it's quite still and there's normally a raging headwind by hometime.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    My evening commute, despite being slightly uphill is usually quicker.

More than anything I put that down to leaving at a time when there is less traffic and other cyclists. The morning usually results in long ques in cycle lanes in Central London, but you don't really get that later in the day.

Probably also a bit more warmed up by the evening, though you can be quite tired sometimes by the end of the day.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    My homeward commute always takes about 10 minutes longer than my inward commute.

Traffic levels I figure.
  • I'm quicker in than back

I figure it's the whole "spending the day whoring forums instead of working tired me out" thing :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    my run into work (usually in the evening) takes me about an hour to make because of the mile and a half long hill on the way (which at the moment I walk!), on th way home (in the morning) it takes me half an hour to get home...downhill all the way and caning it along the cycle path along the river.

personally i perfer to get home quickly after a night shift so it works for me :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • My run to work is definitely quicker than the return as the elevation drop from my house to the office is 522ft and that's a big slog on the way home!
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Sadly, I seem to be a morning person - I'm much quicker on the way in - even allowing for the extra uphill bits.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    My journey home is faster. I'm not exactly in a rush to get to work.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    My motivation to get home is a bit higher than the motivation to get to work :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Porgy
    There' an enforced deadline for getting into work - now I'm seperated from the missus there is no such deadline at home, so i take my time. 8)
  • I usually ride much harder on the way in than the way home, because if I don't I'll miss my train...
    It's uphill, though, so the ride is slower, but it's still way faster than it would be if I could get out of the house five minutes earlier!!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    Yes. But then my morning commute is uphill.
    My cycle blog at www.biking2work.co.uk and check out www.fightbaddriving.co.uk.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My evening commute always takes longer than the morning because I ride the direct route in the morning, but the longer oriented route (via Embankment) on the way home.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    see this is why men and woman arn't compatable, your all morning people :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Going home always takes longer. It is more uphill but not by much. Just knackered by the evening I guess.
  • i always find going home takes longer, in the morning ive just got up and im refreshed and ready to ride, where as at the end of the day im tired just want to get home and it tends to take 5-10mins longer on a 8.5miles commute, it is abit more uphil aswel but i have done the route in the same amount of time as it takes to get there before when i wasnt on my commute
  • for me, at the moment the parks closed I start at 7am... so the road route is shorter/slower so quicker but the way though the park is great, nice chill out, after/before. but slower.
  • As I basically commute west -> east -> west giving me that blasted headwind most evenings, I tend to find the evening commute slower; but then it also depends on what shift I cover as to how busy the roads are. I can lose between 5 and 10 minutes due to heavy traffic and traffic lights.

If I'm on the early start (leave home at 6:30) I fly in as there is nothing on the roads, but if I am on the late start (leave work at 18:15) the roads home are quieter.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    NGale wrote:
    see this is why men and woman arn't compatable, your all morning people :lol:
    Hell no! I take the short route because I can't bear to do anything except get to work with the minimum of effort.
  • Prevailing winds might also be a factor for me... Head NW-ish on the way in and SE-ish on the way home...
  • My evening commute is USUALLY quicker by about 3 minutes as it's down hill with the wind behind me. This last week, strong N or NE winds have meant it's been slower going home. Yesterday was 6 MINUTES SLOWER than the morning ride. :x
    FCN 7 (4 weekdays)
    FCN 11 (1 weekday)

There is an old cyclist called Leigh (not me!)
    Who's pedalling's a blur to see
    So fast is his action
    The Lorenz Contraction
    Shortens his bike to a "T"
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Morning is slower then evening due to distance differential, 4 miles am, 1 mile pm.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,062
    Despite the morning ride being down hill I seem to take longer heading into town than out...

Empty stomach I guess...

but aren't you saying there that your ride in (morning) is downhill and the ride out (uphill) takes longer? well yes it would, it's uphill or am I missing something? do you ride home a different way?

Frequently confused, is I...
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

Empty stomach I guess...

but aren't you saying there that your ride in (morning) is downhill and the ride out (uphill) takes longer? well yes it would, it's uphill or am I missing something? do you ride home a different way?

Frequently confused, is I...

Nope. The uphill leg is quicker. Same again tonight. Odd very odd.
  • Porgy
    Maybe you have one of those strange anomalous regions where gravity works backwards and things roll uphill. I've heard there's one in Wales or somewhere.