bizarre gravity affected indexing!!!!!

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited September 2009 in The workshop
I don't have a workstand, so indexed my rear gears with the bike upside down. I am familiar with indexing, and got it all running smoothly......
.... but when the bike is the right way up and i'm cycling it, the indexing goes t1ts up and won't change up smoothly (cahnging down is fine)

Any ideas?

cheers

Comments

• You just need to unscrew (increase tension) the rear mech cable adjuster out a bit until it shifts up and down the cassette equally. Basically if it doesn't shift up-increase tension. Doesn't shift down-decrease the tension. Unless you have one of those reverse spring Shimano MTB mechs of which I can't remember the group designation it would be the opposite.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    You just need to unscrew (increase tension) the rear mech cable adjuster out a bit until it shifts up and down the cassette equally. Basically if it doesn't shift up-increase tension. Doesn't shift down-decrease the tension. Unless you have one of those reverse spring Shimano MTB mechs of which I can't remember the group designation it would be the opposite.

i did this already - and the shifting was fine whilst my bike was upside down. once i flipped it and rode it.....different story.

hence my speculation that gravity had some part to play :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it can. It is always best to set the gears the right way up as some setups dont like it.

Been a while since anyone has had problems though.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PBo wrote:
    You just need to unscrew (increase tension) the rear mech cable adjuster out a bit until it shifts up and down the cassette equally. Basically if it doesn't shift up-increase tension. Doesn't shift down-decrease the tension. Unless you have one of those reverse spring Shimano MTB mechs of which I can't remember the group designation it would be the opposite.

i did this already - and the shifting was fine whilst my bike was upside down. once i flipped it and rode it.....different story.

hence my speculation that gravity had some part to play :)

Sorry, I should have added that yes it can make a difference if upside down and also under pedal power can make a difference as opposed to spinning on a stand especially if the drivetrain and mech have a little wear in them.
  • Ah, the wonders of having barrel adjusters on the downtube. :) Pretty much get it perfect. :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Easy fix....

Lift bike and support the bike off the ground with either the front of the saddle or top tube (depending on frame size or cable routing) on the back on your neck (i.e stoop and put those parts on the back of your neck - you can watch gear adjustments..... - works for me.................... - leaves hands free to pedal bike and tweak gears...... SORTED.

Other wise get a bike maintenance stand........... (I have two) as well..... but the quick flip on neck works fast.........