trans pennine trail 2010 for charity

bobs bikes
bobs bikes Posts: 589
edited November 2009 in MTB rides
anyone fancy a ride??
starting from hornsea on the east coast and finishing there again 10 days later after a quick jolly to southport?? (430 miles).
i am looking to organise a large sponsored event with the sustrans rangers spending 4 days over to southport and then back.
people can do the event one way if they wish. as we wil have a celebration at both ends ;)
it will be fully supported and backup crews and food etc provided.
im looking to do it around august time.

anyways, let me know!

Comments

• ooh, that sounds exciting. More details when they're available please!
  • Sounds interesting 8)

Let us know when you got more info.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Bobs, sounds good. I've done it previously Southport to Hull.

Great ride.

I live very near the trail in Barnsley.

Will keep a watch out for your info.
  • Did a charity ride a few years back over 2 days. The guys who planned it had never ridden the whole route and by the distances covered could not read a map!!

So unless this is a well know route make sure the route has been reccied and the timing will be doable by the least fit person.

Out of the 50 starters on the event I did only 2 of us finished :roll:
  • i did it again 2 weeks ago, so route and reccy is no problem.
    the route is mainly flat singletrack and canalpath/ road. so no issues really.

4 days is plenty for one way and with a day off at halftime, should give us plenty of recovery for the return journey.

the trail will be marshalled and all volunteer rangers on the route will be informed of our crossing, so help and support is not a problem.

we are looking for one main charity and everyone who takes part can have their own charities which we will split 50/50, hopefully raising a large amount for lots of different causes.
    if anyone has a favoured national charity, give me some details and ill get the planning done.

here is the website for the tpt route.... www.transpenninetrail.org.uk
  • http://www.macmillan.org.uk/

http://www.asthma.org.uk/

http://www.arthritis.org/

So many really.

Event I did was for MS. Mate suffered, event looked good(was, but poorly planned).

Personally I am, my kids and various family members are asthmatics.

Numerous family and friends have succumbed to cancer.

Wife has arthritis.
  • I'd be interested
    John
  • right, we have decided on the weekend start of sat 28th august 2010. this is the bank holiday weekend. the main charity we have decided on is sustrans.... the peeps who built the national cycle route :roll: ...

itinary will be available soon, but we are sorting secure car parking and transport from hull train station to hornsea as i type!

let me know if you fancy it.!

more info will be put up in due time.
    :D
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    interested in doing one-way, let me know when details are available pls :D
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.