Storing my MTB (and Hybrid - boo hiss !)

dubnut71
dubnut71 Posts: 123
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Ok, I had a bit of a tidy in the man cave (grage) today and decided to use a couple of bike hooks from halfords to hand the 2 bikes up by the back wheel.

Now I know just because a hook is sold for this purpose it doesn't make it right but can someone come along and convince me that its OK to hang the bike in this way? I am scared of damaging the wheel due to the weight hanging on it in this manner? Pic attached of my filthy garage!
3922935249_045b5ec64e_b.jpg
Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
Merlin Malt 1
Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wheels will be fine. Garage is immaculate.
    Personally though, I'd put the bikes in line with the wall, not perpendicular to it, so they take up less room.
  • wheels will be fine. Garage is immaculate.
    Personally though, I'd put the bikes in line with the wall, not perpendicular to it, so they take up less room.

Right - got ya! so the bars are touching the wall? I'll nip out and try that right now!!!!
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • I like the bikes, not keen on the big old custom hog, my mate has the same leathers as you, I want a garage that nice and would definitely go for that tool box - very manly!

I think the wheels will be fine.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • No idea what the impact on the bikes would be but i'd have to ask.....why??? It seems to take up the most space possible, yeah they're up off the floor, but you're not exactly tight for space in there!!
  • I notice you decided against putting the motorbike up the same way. Any reason?
  • Skonk
    Skonk Posts: 364
    It's not always about saving space.

Theres always a risk of damaging them if you prop the bikes up against the wall, they can topple over and if your in the middle of carrying something heavy and bump into them, could cause injury.

Nice to have something secure to fix them into even if they take up the same ammount of space.
    Canyon Spectral AL 9.0 EX
    Planet X RT90 Ultegra Di2
  • I have garage envy :oops:

I don't even have electricity in mine and look at that lighting!
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I don't even have a garage.. :(
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Aren't there hooks/pulleys you can get to get them well off the floor?

Echo the sentiments of the garage - we just had a big clear out of our shed and now I have plenty of room for the incoming new bike... Until my housemates decide they want bikes too, and then I'm going to propose the most expensive ones in the shed...

(might put Flic in my room though...)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • I wouldn't have thought that the weight of the bike on the wheels would be a problem - after all, they take a lot more weight when you're sitting on it (And even more - dynamic - weight , when you go over bumps)

Unless somebody with a more mechanical mind can suggest otherwise.

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • I went into a bike shop yesterday and they had bikes hanging in the air. A simple pole across the roof then put the saddle over the bar, seemed pretty well balanced. I'd make sure my saddle was done up tight though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Skonk wrote:
    Theres always a risk of damaging them if you prop the bikes up against the wall, they can topple
    They're mountain bikes, they take much more of a beating when being ridden.
  • A quick tip: realise that some forks don't like being stored at odd angles. No overall harm done, but understand that when storing bikes on walls, you may have to 'pump' the forks back into optimum performance when you first ride. Especially if stored upside down etc etc.

KK.