Cat & Fiddle Cycle Challenge

2»

Comments

• cw42
    cw42 Posts: 205
    was going to go on a club ride this sunday, but this sounds like more fun :)
    Can you enter on the day? Bit late in the week to be entering online and expect anything through the post I guess.
    Weather for buxton is light rain saturday, sunny sunday :D
    live long, eat biscuit
  • Pokerface wrote:

Normally I'd just show up and ride the route, and forgo any food/water stops (as I didn't pay for them) and save the entry fee - quote]

And presumably if you crash badly you would fight off the first aiders or anyone else comeing to your aid., And I guess you close your eyes at all the junctions to avoid seeing the direction signs you havn't paid for.
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    DaveMoss wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Normally I'd just show up and ride the route, and forgo any food/water stops (as I didn't pay for them) and save the entry fee - quote]

And presumably if you crash badly you would fight off the first aiders or anyone else comeing to your aid., And I guess you close your eyes at all the junctions to avoid seeing the direction signs you havn't paid for.

I ride that route regularly, so I don't need to follow little arrows (should there be any) at junctions. If I was to crash - I'm pretty sure an ambulance would pick me up - provided by the NHS, not the sportive organisers. They don't have first aid scattered every 10 feet on the route.

Riding on the road is still free, regardless of who else is using it at the same time as me. You are paying for the food, insurance and organisation of the event (and in this case for charity). Not to use the road.
  • You could always turn up on the day, ride it (if they won't let you enter - I suspect they will), and then donate £15 to Cystic Fibrosis.

I've done this ride for the last four years but due to family commitments will be giving it a miss this year. I've used it to raise several hundred pounds for a charity doing fantastic work. It has been set up and organised with the aim of raising money for this charity, so it seems only fair if you want to enjoy the ride, to make some contribution.

Incidentally I have a god child with CF, and know two others who have it. There is a real chance that the work this charity does will conquer this disease (life expectancy for sufferers is now in the mid thirties, not so long ago it was five). So if you want to take part, please chip in.

Here endeth the sermon...
  • morgs2001
    morgs2001 Posts: 159
    Mossrider wrote:
    You could always turn up on the day, ride it (if they won't let you enter - I suspect they will), and then donate £15 to Cystic Fibrosis.

I've done this ride for the last four years but due to family commitments will be giving it a miss this year. I've used it to raise several hundred pounds for a charity doing fantastic work. It has been set up and organised with the aim of raising money for this charity, so it seems only fair if you want to enjoy the ride, to make some contribution.

Incidentally I have a god child with CF, and know two others who have it. There is a real chance that the work this charity does will conquer this disease (life expectancy for sufferers is now in the mid thirties, not so long ago it was five). So if you want to take part, please chip in.

Here endeth the sermon...

WELL SAID!!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I would like to do this - but can't make the date - so guess I will have target next years event.

Can someone give me an idea of the severity of the 'short sharp climbs!
  • There's 4 of them each 8-10 % approx, and probably around 1km long. And there all probably within 6-7 miles of the finish.

It feels like a quickly paced ride after Cat and Fiddle and Axe Edge, so these can sting the legs if you've been giving it some beforehand.

Been a while since I've done the full length of the Cat, normally go 'the hard way' :wink: via Blaze Hill and Lamaload.

Forecast upto now looks ok cool and dry with westerly breeze, fingers crossed.
  • Mossrider
    Mossrider Posts: 226
    As snaffledog says, they're not bad in them selves, its just that you've probably been belting along for the last 40 miles, think you've done it and - wham! Nothing to get too concerned about (though you'll no doubt be cursing as you go up them).
  • cw42
    Weather looks like it might be nice today :) See you there everyone :D
    live long, eat biscuit
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    yes, good luck. I'm riding alone today after all
  • cw42
    I'll look out for you popette :)
    live long, eat biscuit
  • 'Our' time was actually under 3 hours - just. See http://connect.garmin.com/activity/15271039

Regards,
    Tony.

P.S. Yours may have been less, don't know your exact start time!
  • Just got back from my ride out to Ladderedge Hill, I was sat at the top taking pictures :D
    About 25 mins from the end of the ride.

http://www.robcrayton.co.uk
  • cw42
    I remember seeing you Rob :) You got one of me, all in red on a red specialized. Have you had chance to look through the pictures yet?
    I was also stood up on the pedals trying to not stop! :D
    live long, eat biscuit
  • haha i know the feeling, I rode down on my singlespeed.

all the images have just gone on in time order :D
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I enjoyed that - nice hard climbs, a bit of chat and I got called "duck" twice, which was really sweet. The best bit of all was that enormous buffet at the end - if only all sportives were as well stocked at the end. A selection of sandwiches, pork pies, sausages, oranges, salad stuff, and cakes, piles and piles of cakes! Oh and lots of hot tea and coffee. It was awesome. I took a picture to show Mr P what he had missed out on.
    It took me 3 hours 28 minutes total time. I think I'd do it again just for that buffet.
  • cw42
    Crayton wrote:
    haha i know the feeling, I rode down on my singlespeed.

all the images have just gone on in time order :D

Cheers, found it :)

http://www.robcrayton.fotopic.net/p61378158.html
    live long, eat biscuit
  • pmannion9
    pmannion9 Posts: 280
    Enjoyed this ride.
    First time...
    Decent entry fee and and for a well deserved cause....
    Pity about the downpour while trying to descent after The Cat...
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I intend to go over the route tomorrow AM if anyone is interested in tagging along.
    Decent weather on the cards... not too early a start however
  • i am 15 years old and i had to pay £15
    It Never Gets Easier, you just get Faster and luckier.

UEA Road Captain

Planet X SL pro carbon - sram rival