Riding position - pain in my hand

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
OK wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the workshop, but chose here!

History, back to cycling after a long time off, use a Giant Rincon as a commuter built as a hybrid ish and when riding it I find I'm not holding the bars what I assume is correctly (not something you think about when all is OK!) Instead of having the bar in a fist with it laying along the base of my fingers and the outside of my hand is moving forward and the bar is sitting about 2/3 the way down my palm (its tight against the base of my forfinger on the inside) and leading to a pressure pain in the outside of my palm in short order (10 minutes!).

I've swapped bars to a (better anyway) pair with less sweep (7 instead of 11) degrees but that has only helped a little, I also find I'm cycling with arms quite bent.

As the frame is a little large for me I had put the saddle forward ish and used a short stem, so the first (and cheapest) mod is to move the saddle back and then maybe try a longer stem (in my box o bits so its only time not money), or should I try a pair of sweepless bars (have a shitty steel one I can use as a tryout).

Thoughts anyone at all?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Sorry Simon but I tried to decipher this but to no avail, some photos would help.

Your explanation to you may seem clear but to me it's as clear as mud.

Can you tell me what " I aind " is supposed to be, perhaps that's what's tripping me up in my understanding of this. :?
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • The Rookie
    Sorry typo corrected it was 'and'.....

I'll try and get some photo's later using an old bar to try and illustrate what I mean!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you tried rotating the bars forward a bit and ergo type grips? I did and it helped enormously with numb hands.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sounds like ulnar nerve pressure. Grips can help a lot hre, as can can certian gloves: but I would start at adjusting your controls.
  • The Rookie
    Thanks for that guys...

I had ergo type grips, but it wasn't stopping my hand 'rotating' (round vertical axis) on the bars, I'm currently on plain grips again (85g weight saving :D)

I did try rotating the old bars to no benefit, I have moved the saddle back so hopefully less bent arms will stop the arm bend trying to twist the hand, if that's a help I'll then look at rotating the bars again.

Simon