Loving the ToB

cyclistbruce
cyclistbruce Posts: 88
edited September 2009 in Pro race
It may only be stage 3, but I personally, I'd much rather watch the Tour of Britain on ITV4 than the Vuelta. It may not have the big names and the glamour of the grand tour, but there's been some excellent racing and I think the commentary on ITV (whether it has been added after or not) has made the whole thing much more accessible for those new to the sport, which can only be a good thing.

Maybe its because there's less to lose than on a grand tour, but the attacks seem to have been much bolder on the ToB, and Thomas De Gendt has proven to be a real surprise; 3 days on the attack - definetly one to watch for the future!

Comments

• until today the weather has been better !
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Surely this is just a preference between 45 minutes of edited highlights and 90-odd minutes of live coverage? If the Vuelta was packaged in the same way as the ToB it would be more exciting... for Thomas de Gendt, read Lars Boom or Johnny Hoogerland, both of whom have done hugely gutsy rides.

Personally, I think the ITV commentary is annoying as hell, but maybe that's me.
  • syncro
    syncro Posts: 120
    Has anyone else noticed how we're right up there with the rest of the world with the standard of the podium girls? WOW!! :wink:
  • Joe86
    Joe86 Posts: 180
    afx237vi wrote:
    Surely this is just a preference between 45 minutes of edited highlights and 90-odd minutes of live coverage? If the Vuelta was packaged in the same way as the ToB it would be more exciting... for Thomas de Gendt, read Lars Boom or Johnny Hoogerland, both of whom have done hugely gutsy rides.

Personally, I think the ITV commentary is annoying as hell, but maybe that's me.

I have only watched the first stage so far but I thought it was quite enjoyable, but I do prefer the Eurosport guys (Kelly, Duffield, and Harmon). But aren't the TOB guys the same duo from the British Cycling Tour series? I wonder why Ligget and Sherwen aren't on there.

Also, maybe its just me, but do ITV seem to fill their 'highlights' shows with a little too much non race footage? They seem to have quite a few interviews and pre race discussions.
  • Must admit been watching every night so far and it has been good.

Off to watch it on Waddington Fell today, day off work, decent weather (hopefully), out on the bike, sounds like a perfect day to me.....
  • I assume ligget and sherwen will be covering the vuelta for some other channel.

I wish eurosport would do a proper highlights package, I like the whole ITV4 package with the interviews and everything.

I am getting sick of hearing "tapping out a rhythm" and "stamping on the pedals" though
  • If you think having 3 almost identical and not very taxing stages are better than watching the Vuelta, I can only assume, it is the programme packaging that makes it so.

Great crowds in the Scottish borders. A pity they headed South, not North, from Peebles.

Not enough teeth.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I just love watching cycling...any cycling...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The race is growing and hopefully can establish itself. Teams should be clamouring for the opportunity to market their wares to one of the largest countries/economies in Europe.

The ITV package is slick in its editing, graphics, content and music. Such a punchy production is miles from the sleepy camera work seen on a Vuelta live stage.
  • I like the coverage too - agree with the comment that the route lacks teeth though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Hadn't even realised it was on each night. Something to look forward to this evening I guess!
  • afx237vi wrote:
    Yes the old guy in particular gets on my nerves.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I think the commentators is down to the production company. Whilst Liggett and Sherwen do the TdF commentary for ITV, I think the promoters Sweetspot also do the TV production for ToB, and I'd imagine did the same for the Tour Series and used Hugh Porter and Anthony McCrossan.

This years production is a lot better than last years, last year each programme seemed to have a 10 minute advert for the tourist board of the area the stage was being held.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    the live satellite mapping and actual speed tracking is the best i have seen

http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/_ns_race/stage4_tracking.asp

currently over 50km/h
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    But just like last year, we get twitter-updates until the very end of each stage, but then a long delay before they tweet the winner. What gives??
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    So who won today? Still no updates on the ToB website as far as i can see.
    More problems but still living....
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,481
    amaferanga wrote:
    So who won today? Still no updates on the ToB website as far as i can see.
    Cycling Weekly detail the winner (I've not said it here in case someone is planning on watching the ITV4 coverage tonight and doesn't want it spoilt for them).
  • Phips - Great photos, what team car were you in?
    I'm from Peebles and it was the best day ever here, I am slightly biased from the cycling side but the whole town got totally into it...apart from my daughters school which couldnt even be ars*d to walk them 200 metres to watch :evil:
  • Wiggo went into the local bike shop for a coffee before the race...very very cool!
    So did Rob Hayles and he managed to miss the start by staying too long finishing it.
    Seriously a couple of your photos of the Rapha guys could go straight in the catalogue.
    Hope you can blag free kit by riding in the car!
  • Of course, the highlight of the race so far was East Bradford CC U12 teams finishing 1st and 2nd in the Italian Pursuit competition on the finishing straight (and providing two members of another team)

And being allowed into the empty area under the judges box to watch the finish of some other event that was going on :D
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    samb01 wrote:
    But just like last year, we get twitter-updates until the very end of each stage, but then a long delay before they tweet the winner. What gives??

Not sure why they do that. I follow Russ Downing and he was able to tweet within miutes of finishing!
  • I've just got back from the Blackpool stage,really well organised event,lots of decent merchandise available and the race programme was superb for £3.00 can't wait to go next year to cheer on Team Sky!
  • jeffjonno wrote:
    I've just got back from the Blackpool stage,really well organised event,lots of decent merchandise available and the race programme was superb for £3.00 can't wait to go next year to cheer on Team Sky!

They were only £2.00 at Cross O Greet
    positivley 4th street
  • hammerite wrote:
    samb01 wrote:

Not sure why they do that. I follow Russ Downing and he was able to tweet within miutes of finishing!

Doing it from laptop in a car rather than phone, so he has to jump out car with all his rubbish and then leg it back to the media centre to do the podium & press conference. Hence why most days the results are a bit delayed on there. You can usually get 'em via the results section on the website pretty soon after the finish.
  • I'm really enjoying watching the ToB on ITV4. It's quite easy to avoid the result during the day so effectively watching highlights live at 7pm.

The picture quality seems better than Eurosport. Commentary is better even although it must be after the event as we were in York on Saturday to see the finish where Duffers was commentating live for the crowds. He was giving the crowd updates he was getting as they approached the finish - so he must have added his TV commentary later.

Also great to see good crowds out nearly everywhere.

At least there was a descent climb today as some of the KOMs climbs have seemed a bit tame for that level. I would have thought that even in Britain they could find more tough climbs to integrate into stage routes to separate the men from the boys.
  • Coyote
    Coyote Posts: 212
    Those photos are really good - much better than the crap ones I took, but where are the podium girls??!! :lol:

The atmosphere in Peebles was great and I agree, it wasn't just the cycling fans out there, it looked like the whole town!

Our mob drove down from Edinburgh, watched the start and then headed out for our own 75 mile stage. It was great to see a good few others doing the same on a Monday in September.

The pictures on ITV have been top quality too - all in all a great event!
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Can't put my finger on it, but ITV4 are covering it very, very well- even non cycling friends are becoming hooked. And I'm just not as engrossed by the Vuelta. But that's probably a Valverde thing.

It is the Tour of BRITAIN though, not just England with a brief foray into the Borders (although very worthwhile that foray may be).
    Hoping that next year they'll have a stage in the Highlands. They could easily fly everyone to Inverness/Oban and let them loose. I'm sure the Tourist Board would sponsor that stage.