Dish Error

Maxticate
Maxticate Posts: 193
edited September 2009 in The workshop
I have a problem with my rear wheel now!

I got the LBS to fit my new tyres as they were too tight. Then I noticed that I was riding and when I would apply power to the pedals I would hear a

"zzzsh zzzsh" sound

I checked the front wheel, thought it might be the bottom bracket but in actual fact it turns out the rear wheel rubs the frame slightly when I am pedalling hard.

This is because the wheel is offset to one side.

I took some pictures of it.

disherror2smaller.jpg

disherrorsmaller.jpg

I have tried removing and refitting the wheel several times to make sure it is seated correctly. This is the position it always ends up in. I didn't notice before because the tyre was a narrower width.

Would it be enough for me too loosen spokes on one side of the wheel and tighten them on the other by equal amounts in order to change the dish?

Cheers

Max

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Make a note of the offset and then put the wheel in the wrong way around, if the offset is the same but on the other side then the wheel is out of dish.
    To re-dish a wheel, do as you've described but in small increments. Probably best left to LBS.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • as above, how well do you know your way round a truing stand, it isn't difficult if you're experienced at using a spoke key.
  • I have no experience whatsoever at using a truing stand and in fact don't have one!

I did do some limited truing of a MTB wheel once. It turned out ok but wasn't as involved as turning all the spokes.

I'll go reverse the wheel and see what's what first.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Nice socks BTW :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Maxticate wrote:
    I have no experience whatsoever at using a truing stand and in fact don't have one!

I did do some limited truing of a MTB wheel once. It turned out ok but wasn't as involved as turning all the spokes.

I'll go reverse the wheel and see what's what first.

take it to your lbs, should cost you about 5-10 quid
  • Looks to me as if the wheel is crooked rather than not dished properly. Have a look at your axle skewer to see if the springs on each end were mounted in the right direction. The large diameter spring ends should be toward the outside. If they're backwards the spring can get caught between the axle and dropout causing a skewed wheel.
  • I knew someone would comment on the socks, I told the gf someone would before I put the picture up :D:D

Well I just went to check the skewers and the springs are the right way round!

Which is quite relieving because I had at the wheel with a spoke key last night. I have managed to move the wheel over enough that it sits almost in the centre now. It may be slightly out but I have run out of adjustment on some of the spokes.

I trued it as best I could; I can still see a slight wobble in there. In the wobble area the nipples now just twist the spokes when I try to turn them. I'm guessing that the spoke is screwed as far in as possible? That or it has gotten stuck in the nipple, but I don't think it's this as when I was going all around the wheel all the nipples were turning to begin with. Some of the nipples were slightly rounded off too so someone has obviously had a go at this before.

I could have a go at the rounded nipples with mole grips I suppose?

All in all I think if a proper wheelsmith took a look at it s/he'd have a fit at the wobblyness and general crapness of it. But I think it'll do for riding to work and back for a while.

I guess I'll find out this morning if the wheel collapses on the way

:lol:
  • The wheel made it in ok. No Funky noises or anything. :lol:

I did have to spend time some time stopping the brakes from dragging though!