To Joplin or not?

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited October 2009 in MTB general
I've always been a right sceptic about adjustable seatposts giving it 'what you need one of those for, never had one before, waste of money' and all that but I'm starting to sway :lol:

As I'm seatpostless at the moment waiting for USE to pull their fingers out of their asses and send mine out and the fact that my less that 12 month old DEUS XC decided to break on the marin trail yesterday. Today I saw and managed to get my hands all over a Joplin seatpost and it was all starting to look very shiny and tempting :lol:

I've heard of some reliabilty issues with them, having to keep them clean, service often and the saddle can, in some cases swivel round.

Do I or Don't I?

Are they worth it or do I carry on doing what I've done for years?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    One of my better purchases, makes me much more confident on the techy stuff. No relaibility issues yet (had mine for nearly 6 months), no service required so far. Did get a bit sticky at one point but I just loosened the collar, cleaned under it and put a bit of Fox float fluid on the post, been fine since. There is a small amount of play but there has been since new. Really don't notice it when riding.

If you do go for one get the remote version (IMHO).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    love mine, i took the plunge after having a few bevyys!

would never go back to a normal one.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • The Joplin is often tarred with the "Maverick Speedball" brush, which is sad as Crank Bros. Joplin is a major improvement over the predecessor
    I've had mine for well over a year now and have had absolutely no trouble at all. It just works and works well.
    It certainly does improve my riding experience, it's nice to drop and raise the seatpost when tackling descents without having to stop and fiddle with the seatclamp

I do recommend going for the Joplin-R with the handlebar mounted remote
    Below are some Forum links on the Joplin..

Clicky
    Click
    Click

Rather trust feedback from those of us who own this product. The skeptics are usually those who "have heard" or "know someone" but never usually own the products they are so quick to slate. There are cheaper alternatives.. (KS i900) but you certainly get what you pay for..
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I have the speedball.I bought it 2nd hand off fleabay(£67!!!)i've had it around 6 months and have had no problems whatsoever.I never dropped my saddle before as i couldn't be bothered,don't know how i managed without the post 8) I have the lever version and if i ever have to replace it i'll get either the lever Joplin or the lever cobra900i.
  • I have one. The functionality is superb. However, I'd only have bought one (afterall they are *hideously* expensive) if I was already a serial saddle height adjuster.

there are established reliability issues with it. the rotational play thing you mentioned is one. I believe this is due to wear in a user replacable guide block and this is what CB replace under warranty in the event. However, CB have a reputation for standing behind their product and this one has a 2 year warranty.

The shop's advice to me when I bought mine; keep your receipt. we *do* get these returned but don't worry, we (and by extension CB) are not @rses about it

I do think I'm going to fit a boot to mine though, it filled with water first day out in a rainy Afan, squirting water out past the wiper seal everytime I lowered it!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i have one and it is the business, i have fitted a boot ot mine made out of an inner tube and some zip ties, time will tell if it was a good idea or not:
    3867428696_ee2750d034.jpg
  • i like what you've done there
  • scale20
    I've seen other that have made innertube boots for them.

All the above posts are giving good vibes out for the post but I aint got a clue what to do. Are they worth £200? I'm a tart for anything bling and don't usualy have to think about it but this one has me stumped :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • people say they wonder how they managed without them. think its a luxury, bit like sky tv. if you can afford it, go for it.
  • jsussex
    jsussex Posts: 118
    recently got the i900 remote, its very solid and works a treat - a few hundred grammes extra weight. TBH 70% of my cycling is xc so I never use it on those rides, but other 30% it is so useful. IF you ever manually lower your seat post for a section you always want it back up within a few mins - and to be able to do this on the fly is so sweet. Yeh a bit of a luxury though and I'm a bit embarrassed when I don't use it for a whole ride.
  • scale20
    I've done 18 years of riding without one, that's what makes the decision a tough one.

Do you get any bob frm them when riding in the saddle?
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    scale20 wrote:
    I've done 18 years of riding without one, that's what makes the decision a tough one.

This Is what I keep thinking (but then again when I started I made do with 18 gears and no suspension)

I don't really lower my seat on the downs, It's kind of at the height were I can get over the back of It and still pedal well on the flats and hills. But there are times when I do think about getting one.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I reckon you should consider the Gravity Dropper too... It's ugly, it's heavy and it's industrial, but it works.

As to whether you want one... I never saw the point til I watched a mate ride with one, it's not that it makes it quicker to raise and lower the post, it's that he has the seat at the right height, all the time. Not that big a deal at glentress or somewhere where you can say "This is a descent, seat down" and set it for a whole section, but at Drumlanrig or nevis red it's very handy.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I reckon the price of these things is insane, but I definitely reccomend dropping the saddle down for hammering very rough sections.
    It's not just for getting over the back, it's to give you plenty of leeway, so if your back wheel gets bucked up on a rock or root, you have plenty of clearance. Trying the same thing with the seat up high could mean getting smacked in the arse, and going over the bars.
  • scale20 wrote:

Nope, it's as solid as a conventional seatpost.. not so much as a millimeter of vertical play
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Ditto on the solid and ditto yeehaamcgee about it not just being for the downs. There are times when I just like it out the way. I like to ride XC with my saddle pretty high, sometimes this can cause problems when my back wheels hits something and gives me a kick up the backside, tends to shunt me over the bars. With the saddle dropped a bit I'm up off the saddle, much more mobile and less likely to get flicked off the bike.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • If you aint bought one yet 18bikes in hope are selling a grey version with remote for £160
  • If you aint bought one yet 18bikes in hope are selling a grey version with remote for £160
  • Sarnian
    Can you get It In 27.2mm
  • No sadly not ,only 30.9 and 31.6
  • Northwind
    Sarnian wrote:
    Can you get It In 27.2mm

Gravity Dropper. :wink: When people talk about the durability of other posts I smile, and remember this...

IMG_0638-1.jpg

My bike spent 2 days hanging off the fort william gondola chairlift just by its saddle, it seems teh gravity droppers are quite durable :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sarnian
    Nice one, Is It remote
  • Northwind
    Nah, I stupidly got the Descender. I'll be getting a Turbo at some point though, having learned the error of my ways (the Descender is just a Turbo without the remote, it even looks like it could be added easily but the bits aren't available :cry: )
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Sarnian
    Found them on CRC, they have all sold out but It looks as If I will give It a go.

Away for a few weeks now, so will grab one when I get back, although still trying to decide If I put one on the FS or the HT.
  • scale20
    After much much thought I have decided that I don't need one!

Usualy if I fancy something for the bike I tend to just go for it without having to think too much but this one has had me trying to justify it for days. I came to the conclusion that If I have had to think about it for this long then it's not something I'm happy spending my cash on.

Plus I am getting a new pair of Oakley through their replacement scheme so I have to pay for them. They couldn't fix mine so I get 40% off a new pair of juliet's. That one I didn't have to think about :lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20
    Well, I was 6 weeks without a seatpost and even in that time USE couldn't get it right, when it did come it was the wrong size. I had looked at the joplin but couldn't justify it but with a Scotland trip looming I was desperate and the other half came up trumps with an early xmas pressie. I have to say the joplin did me proud around Glentress and Inners!

I didnt fit the remote before going so used the under saddle lever which was a little fiddly on the hop. After getting back this weekend i fitted the remote to the bars but I cant make my mind up, it all looks a bit pikey and untidy. I'm yet to give it a blast with the remote down at Coed Y Brenin this weekend.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.