the "everything" bike..

Comments

• zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    The Orange is a conservative design, it's not particularly good at any one thing. Kind of like a jack of all trades, master of none. Very bland.

Have you actually ridden one? I've ridden quite a few bikes and it's easily the a contender for king of downhill and flat singletrack trail bikes (so basically all of the fun riding I do). It climbs well enough too, I'm far from last to the top in an even ability group.

Just sounds like bile to me... :roll:
  • No one's mentioned the Santa Cruz Nomad or Heckler , never ridden one, but they are both high up on my wish list of 'do anything bikes' I'd like to try....
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    zero303 wrote:
    The Orange is a conservative design, it's not particularly good at any one thing. Kind of like a jack of all trades, master of none. Very bland.

Have you actually ridden one? I've ridden quite a few bikes and it's easily the a contender for king of downhill and flat singletrack trail bikes (so basically all of the fun riding I do). It climbs well enough too, I'm far from last to the top in an even ability group.

I have, it felt the same as my Saracen Dtox to be honest!
  • zero303
    I assume that was as part of the recent review in the mag you write for then?
  • supersonic
    Oh no, way before I started writing.

They just both happen to be stiff, 140mm single pivot bikes with similar geo - yet the Saracen was of course heavier.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    No one's mentioned the Santa Cruz Nomad or Heckler , never ridden one, but they are both high up on my wish list of 'do anything bikes' I'd like to try....

a mate runs a blur LT....it copes with all the downs just the same as the 5, but climbs a lot better.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    zero303 wrote:

Yes I have. It does all things fairly well, but it doesn't exel at anything.
    It is most certainly not the "king of downhill" whatever the hell that might be.
  • Just been on the Marin website...all the 2010 bikes are up and the Wolfridge no longer exists :cry::cry: ...instead there doing different versions of the Attack trail with suspension upped to 150mm.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Anonymous
    Actually, the new attack trail is an odd one. The reas suss stays at 140mm, and the front has come down from 160 to 150.
    Apart from the attack trail "avalanche" which DOES get 150mm at the rear.
    That's Marin's insane "bike naming department" in action again :roll:
  • in all honestly, the Pitch build that I did (see bike in my signature) does everything I want it to do.

I can ride it all day, up hills, over jumps, technical singletrack, moderate DH etc.

It weighs in at 31lbs, and with the RP23 with propedal turned on it climbs well.

It's got some Fox 36's up front, a dual ring with guide and bash and some lovely Tech M4 stoppers, so it's fantastic for throwing back down the hill again.

The only thing I won't do on it is heavy DH or hucking........but that's what I built the Shore One for!
  • zero303
    Gawd, I give up on you lot :roll:

No taste... :P
  • Anonymous
    i found i kept having to find excuses not to buy a 5, im not a fan of their looks or their spec but im a firm believer that a bike can be more than the sum of its parts (which is why i prefer almost any full sus bike to a hardtail).

the five gets so well reviewed that its almost impossible to exclude it from a shortlist for do it all bike.

luckily i have no need for a 140mm bike or i would be saving up for one of those right now
  • if a bike is more than the sum of its parts, and a hard tail has fewer parts than a FS, then it must be worth more, no?

/runs

a do everything bike would need to be strong enough to hit DH courses at pace (OK, not race pace but you get my drift) without breaking while being comfortable to ride on trails all day and be able to take both steep techy climbs and long pluggers.

IMO a lot of the current crop of 5" bikes wouldn't be up to DH, they're just too lightly built. The 6"+ bikes seem generally too saggy and heavy (I've not tried a Nomad but the Intense 6.6 as was definitely falls foul)

My choice, therfore, would be an Intense Tracer (that I yearn for) for FS or the Evil Sov (that I have) for HT. I'm also intrigued by the IBIS Mojo, which I suspect is a lot stronger than it looks. Roll on Mojo DH!
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    I'm actually thinking along the lines of an SC Heckler as a do it all bike for myself.

The new 150mm Revelations up front with a maxle, lightish build kit for the rest (nothing daft X-9 and XT) Set of Hope AM 4 wheels should build up to around 27-28lbs

Short of full on DH (which I aint brave enough for) should be just the ticket!
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Anonymous
    a do everything bike would need to be strong enough to hit DH courses at pace (OK, not race pace but you get my drift) without breaking while being comfortable to ride on trails all day and be able to take both steep techy climbs and long pluggers.
    In other words, a wolf ridge / attack trail :D
  • a do everything bike would need to be strong enough to hit DH courses at pace (OK, not race pace but you get my drift) without breaking while being comfortable to ride on trails all day and be able to take both steep techy climbs and long pluggers.

Nahhh... i'm actually thinking a Ti 456....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My next frame I think, i've just got to have one in my life :)
  • Ti456 over the evil sovereign, run with 29r rebas up front...

Really does ride like a DH bike apparently....
  • Anonymous
    noy you're just being silly.
  • well that's what the 10/10 review of the Ti456 (run with 29r rebas and 29r front wheel) said, If i had the money to buy the forks and wheel i'd do it just to have a go!
  • supersonic
    On a relative budget, and hardtail, I'd get sumat like my Ruckus frame (or MMMbop, Pha5e), Tora Uturn, En521 rims on cheapy Shimano hubs, 8 speed kit and parts from Exotic and smica.

SHould be tough, but not as heavy as to spoil a good day out on the XC track.

A bit like this:

c3VwZXJzb25pYzUyNUAyMDAwODk2NzFAMkAyMDA3MDIyNzE3MDg1MkAxMjI1NTE5Njk3.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Ti456 over the evil sovereign, run with 29r rebas up front...

Really does ride like a DH bike apparently....
    Whoever wrote that has obviously never ridden anything like a santacruz V10. :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Loads of 5 inch-or-thereabouts trail bikes can do pretty much anything, from commuting to world cup DH courses. 5s, Zestys, Hecklers, etc etc. Many choices. You can even do flat singletrack on a Spicy or AM or whatever other 6 incher you want without too much trouble. Modern bikes are amazing frankly.

Me, I'll have what I already have, a reasonably light-but-hardcore-hardtail with heght adjustable forks, strong light kit and a dropper seatpost. It can do everything I can do, without question. It'd need a better rider/braver than me to do some stuff, but then that'd be the same whether I'm on the Soul or a Session.

So, part of it's obviously down to the rider- mate of mine uses a Patriot as his XC bike, because he's a monster with legs bigger than my torso :lol: So to him it's a perfect allrounder.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    Loads of 5 inch-or-thereabouts trail bikes can do pretty much anything, from commuting to world cup DH courses. 5s, Zestys, Hecklers, etc etc. Many choices. You can even do flat singletrack on a Spicy or AM or whatever other 6 incher you want without too much trouble. Modern bikes are amazing frankly.

Me, I'll have what I already have, a reasonably light-but-hardcore-hardtail with heght adjustable forks, strong light kit and a dropper seatpost. It can do everything I can do, without question. It'd need a better rider/braver than me to do some stuff, but then that'd be the same whether I'm on the Soul or a Session.

So, part of it's obviously down to the rider- mate of mine uses a Patriot as his XC bike, because he's a monster with legs bigger than my torso :lol: So to him it's a perfect allrounder.

hmmm.... in that case... i'll get an intense socom :D:lol:
  • Santa Cruz Blur LTC. Or maybe an Ibis Mojo.
  • Orange 5 for me all the way :shock: :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i think my perfect bike would be a super slack 120mm fs bike, somethin like a blur 4x that pedalled reasonably with a platform shock and was a demon on the dh. im thinkin 65 degree head angle a bolt thru fork, maxles both ends (or 15mm up front not too fussed) nice and light tubeless wheels with 2.3 tyres, a triple chainset and an adjustable seat post. if that kinda bike came out at 26-27lbs id buy it in a flash. but as im currently aware no such bike exists so i think a zesty or meta would be perfect
  • jsussex
    jsussex Posts: 118

You dont want one of those hateful Marins, you need a Trek Remedy 9.9
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    bigbenj_08 wrote:

Nahhh... i'm actually thinking a Ti 456....mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

My next frame I think, i've just got to have one in my life :)

There are not many other peoples bikes I get jealous over, but that Is one of them.

I will get, don't know when but I will :D
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Anonymous
    jsussex wrote:

You dont want one of those hateful Marins, you need a Trek Remedy 9.9
    Trek Remedy is also a great bike. But I'll opt for the burliness of the marin, and the lifetime guaranteed frame and pivot bearings.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I always like that lifetime guarantee.

"My frame's broken, I'd like to claim on the lifetime guarantee"
    "You can't, it's dead"
    "Yes, and?"
    "Well, by definition your lifetime runs from when you're born, to when you die."
    Uncompromising extremist