Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Ride to work

sharm1969casharm1969ca Posts: 136
edited September 2009 in Commuting chat
GOD! did i need a kick up the ar5e to get on my bike this morning! Only started to ride last couple of weeks. Once im on my way its ok but just that first bit getting the bike out the shed and cocking my leg over the saddle, is this normal and what can i do to stop that uuurrrgghh! feeling. Any advice would be helpfull, as i dont want to pack it all in before ive started. My ride is 15 miles each way leeds to halifax. by the way its only the first time its happened but i would like to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

• Not sure what your problem is? Is it a painful posterier? Then some padded shorts might be in order.

Is it just the thought of starting to cycle at an ungodly hour, and motivating yourself to start? Well help will be at hand here.... Think of the cash you are saving, the good you are doing for your self, the environment, just take in the lovely scenery and enjoy the "holier than though" feeling you get all day long over colleagues that have taken bus/car/train.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • CiBCiB Posts: 6,098
    Ask yourself if you've ever ridden to work, got there and wished you hadn't gone by bike. Compare that to days when you drive in and wish you'd ridden. Lock that thought in your brain.
  • cheers wallace, yeah think its just the motivation i think, i set of for work around half six not too early but i aint in any rush to get there as i dont start untill half eight most mornings, i get scalped by almost everyone so im not racing. maybe its its the thought of coming to work! no it cant be that as i enjoy my job. Once i set off i'm ok.
  • SewinmanSewinman Posts: 2,131
    I had nothing in my legs this morning and felt blue when i got on the bike. I then pootled past my local train station and there was a queue of people stretching out of the front door waiting for the privilege of buying a ticket. This normally happens when one of the ticket guys fails to turn up to work...I have been there and its all sighing, pushing, tutting and then "£5.30 please" to stand on a train. I perked up immediately :)
  • mooniomoonio Posts: 802
    Get an expensive bike..then u have to justify the expense by using it everyday :lol:
  • cheers wallace, yeah think its just the motivation i think, i set of for work around half six not too early but i aint in any rush to get there as i dont start untill half eight most mornings, i get scalped by almost everyone so im not racing. maybe its its the thought of coming to work! no it cant be that as i enjoy my job. Once i set off i'm ok.

Well, I got home last night after 9pm after weekend in Glencoe, climbed two Munro's yesterday, in what was excellent weather. I am intrinsically a lazy person, but i did manage to get on the iron horse this morning for my 7.5 mile commute (i set off about 7am)

As Chris says, you never regret cycling in, but if you don't, then you definately do regret not doing it. That is very powerful to me. You can spend all day planning your extended route home....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • R_T_AR_T_A Posts: 488
    You mention you've only just started commuting. So you're probably not physically used to it.

I can only relate to my experience, but once you get past the initial shock and start seeing the physical/health benefits as well, you'll start missing it when you can't do it.

For me, it's become a habit to get into the cycling kit asap - there is no other alternative in getting to work (CiB is spot on with his observation, so focus on that).

Driving doesn't even enter my mind, and if I have to drive as I'm carrying too much stuff, I really miss the ride in.

So, keep it going and wait until you start challenging for scalps :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • I occasionally get a guilty feeling with buying a big expensive hot lunch and then I remember and sit back and enjoy it even more given I spent nothing bar use some excess energy to get to work that day - and gained some scalps and lost my body weight in sweat too :D

Its all good so try to focus on the positives which there are a lot of.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • cheers guys, its true i never regret riding in, i am saving loads of cash, i only lost 2lb in weight last week, i thought i would have lost a bit more but then again i didnt change my eating habbits so cant realy complain on that one. Maybe it was just one of them mornings ya know, but hey thanks all you guys for the comments it really does help.
  • R_T_AR_T_A Posts: 488
    You may not lose weight fast, as you'll be building up the leg muscles quite considerably (muscle weighing heavier than fat).

So don't worry about the weight - you may notice your body has changed shape before weight disappears. Or when you may beat your best commuting time by minutes. :lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • NGaleNGale Posts: 1,866
    I have to admit I suffer the same as you, that thought of 'Ugghhhhh'.

I have to say I do cheat a bit and only cycle in on night shifts (leave home at 5pm to get in for 7pm (there's quite a stretch up hill that I walk because I really can't be arsed to try and cycle it at the moment). I have yet to work my way to cycling in on a day shift (which would be up at 4am to be on the road by 5am)

It really is a case of getting that thought locked into your brain of perfering to cycle over drive every time.

One thing I found that works today, audio books on my ipod, don't need to be on too loud and I only have about a quater of a mile of actual road to cycle on, so it does make things seem a little easier.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • suzybsuzyb Posts: 3,449
    moonio wrote:
    Get an expensive bike..then u have to justify the expense by using it everyday :lol:
    Yeah that's how I initially motivated myself. Now though the "feel good" factor I get from the cycling has started motivating me instead.
  • RufusARufusA Posts: 500
    cheers guys, its true i never regret riding in....Maybe it was just one of them mornings ya know, but hey thanks all you guys for the comments it really does help.

Be warned the days are drawing in. There will come a point in the not too distant future when you leave your door, and the sun's not up yet and there is a chill that cuts you to the bone. October is the worst month!

However the feeling of hammering along, steam coming off you in to the sunrise is an unbeatable way to prepare for work!

Rufus.
  • gb2gwgb2gw Posts: 81
    RufusA wrote:
    cheers guys, its true i never regret riding in....Maybe it was just one of them mornings ya know, but hey thanks all you guys for the comments it really does help.

Be warned the days are drawing in. There will come a point in the not too distant future when you leave your door, and the sun's not up yet and there is a chill that cuts you to the bone. October is the worst month!

However the feeling of hammering along, steam coming off you in to the sunrise is an unbeatable way to prepare for work!

Rufus.

Ain't that the truth! The other morning when I left the house and started getting a bit of a pace on straight downhill my eyes were watering at how cooooold it felt. Really really chilly. And pretty dark too at 6.15am. But not 20 mins later I was pedalling down a nice bridleway alongside cornfields with little bunny wabbits scampering about on the path in front of me and a lovely bright shimmery sun bathing me in a rather magical early morning glow, and I arrived at work toasty warm and buzzing and ready for my brekkers.

Don't get that doing the clutch/accelerator game in heavy traffic.

It's tough though when it's dark and cold (and wet!). Proper kit helps a lot though. Winter gloves and thermal tops, and something for my ears!
  • Aye, had a definite chill in the air this morning at 6ish. Gonna need better gloves and just brave the warm up time needed.

Lights tastic soon.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sarajoysarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I started cycling (sporadically at first I must admit) in February - so I'm hoping that means I'm pretty much prepared for what the weather will throw at me as the days draw in now..!

The worst one I had was coming home as sleet was beginning to fall - that stuff can really sting! Had to stop and move my buff from under my helmet and bring it up over my chin and nose instead because the sleet was hurting my cheeks.

Hopefully I can get me some nice winter gear from Aldi on Thurs!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • I also commute to Halifax but come from Keighley area. I started about 6 weeks ago & sometimes get that Urrrgh feeling especially when legs ache every day.

However last week due to family & work commitments I had to drive every day & actually found it really frustrating crawling along in the traffic in the car - I couldn't wait to get back on the bike this week. So, maybe try mixing it up some days & you might realise just how enjoyable it can be.

Also helps if some days I just take it easy rather than always trying to beat my best time - however it is hard to stop yourself checking the computer.
    May the Forks be with you
  • looked forward to getting back on my bike today as came to work in the car yesterday after mondays fiasco, thanks to all the encouragement and advive guys, i think ive got my MOJO back!
  • i had exactly the same thought this morning, ended up chickening out and coming on the motorbike instead, wishing i hadnt now as its a lovely day in london compared to the drizzle i rode home in yesterday.

I have been daily commuting for a few months now and do love it, but sometimes its very hard to drag my censored out of bed at 06.30 for a 14 mile commute, especially when i have 2 motorbikes in the garage that will get me there faster (only 10 mins)planning to carry on into the darker months but cant say im looking forward to it :cry:
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • am with you on that chop! but i dont have a motorbike haha. hate driving in car especially when weather is good.