And the award for longest fireroad climb ever goes to.....

Tel39
Tel39 Posts: 243
edited September 2009 in MTB general
The Leg Burner section on the Summit trail at Nant y Arian. Jeeeez how long is that! Think there should be an oxygen tank at the top of it :)
Not a criticism though, really enjoyed it, well apart from two over the bar incidents!
Gorgeous scenery as well, would definitely recommend a visit.
Vis Unita Fortior

Comments

• Tel39 wrote:
    apart from two over the bar incidents!

On a fireroad, how did you manage that??
  • Tel39
    Airienteer wrote:
    Tel39 wrote:

Not on the fireroad, dont think even i could manage that!
    Went over at the beginning on 'The Italian Job' and then near the end on 'High As A Kite'
    Wasn't my day! Had done Cli-Max earlier in the day so maybe my concentration wasnt as sharp. Glad I had a lid on though!
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • It's a shocker isn't it..... did it in March this year after about a month off the bike. Nearly killed me :oops:
  • well unfortunately seeing that I don't live in the UK-area in general (I'm in Australia)
    I don't really know quite how long that is, but I know that my local trails have a seriously long one!
    I'd probably have to get back to you on km length but it'd probably be a contender :)
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    Tel39 wrote:
    Airienteer wrote:
    Tel39 wrote:

Not on the fireroad, dont think even i could manage that!
    Went over at the beginning on 'The Italian Job' and then near the end on 'High As A Kite'
    Wasn't my day! Had done Cli-Max earlier in the day so maybe my concentration wasnt as sharp. Glad I had a lid on though!

What did you think of Cli-max?
  • Definitely Glentress. Well, it felt that way yesterday on newly surfaced track, in the sun, on SX Trail with too short a seatpost and 2.5 dual ply super tackies.
  • Tel39
    timmys wrote:
    Tel39 wrote:
    [quote

What did you think of Cli-max?

Really enjoyed it, though think I should've done the Summit trail first, that climb killed me :oops:

Have you done Cli-max? Was a lovely clear sunny day when I did it and the view over to Cadair Idris was stunning. Brill fast ending to it as well.
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Tel39 wrote:
    Jeeeez how long is that!
    How long is it?

One of my favourite (ha!) fireroad climbs is about 3km, rising from 50m to 500m. My legs are burning just writing about it =]
  • Tel39
    .blitz wrote:
    Tel39 wrote:
    Jeeeez how long is that!
    How long is it?

One of my favourite (ha!) fireroad climbs is about 3km, rising from 50m to 500m. My legs are burning just writing about it =]

Blimey sounds a killer! Not sure about the length of it, at a guess say 2km?? Be interesting to find out just how far it is, I've done Four of the 7stanes and a few Welsh trail centres and it definitely seemed the longest to me, think my lungs and legs would second that too!!

Where's that one you quoted Blitz?
    Vis Unita Fortior
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited September 2009
    Tel39 wrote:
    Where's that one you quoted Blitz?
    Not too far from Nant Yr Arian. It starts from the village of Abergynolwyn and heads SE towards the Bryn Eglwys quarry then switchbacks up the hillside. There's another one that starts between the village and the train station and heads up towards Tarrenhendre (634m) but it involves some carrying.

Probably as boring as batsh*t to some people but I like 'em :)
  • timmys
    timmys Posts: 191
    Tel39 wrote:
    Have you done Cli-max? Was a lovely clear sunny day when I did it and the view over to Cadair Idris was stunning. Brill fast ending to it as well.

Yeah I did it a couple of months ago and thought it was ace. You don't hear of it very often which is why I asked really.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Not a fire road, but steep tarmac lane and rough track: Start at Abergwyngregin, near Llanfairfechan, Conwy. It's actually an old Roman Road.

Road climb to small car park/gate, then better track to summit of The Drum, 2,526ft or 770mt.

Last bit is a hike, but mostly rideable. Choice at the top to go to the Drum, left to Llanfairfechan, right to Llyn Anafon reservoir or straight on with descent to Trefriw/Llanrwst.

Can be done on a hardtail or light trail bike. Use decent tyres and the isolation is apparent, so take care. Weather changes each min, was there 2 weeks ago in warm sun. Raining hard after 10 mins or so and blowing a gale.

Great Cafe in Aber village. Home made cakes, soup, sandwiches. Mmmmmm....