My new bike and its first proper outing

mac_man
mac_man Posts: 918
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
After many years away from cycling.... Here it is. It seemed a good deal for £399. It's a Saracen Mantra 3.

12092009476.jpg

Spec

Frame: Hardcore and profiled 7005 T6 - suspension adjusted for 120mm of travel
Fork: RockShox Tora 289 130mm travel U turn adjustable to 85-130mm air oil fork
Gears: SRAM X5 medium cage 27 speed
Shifters: SRAM X5 trigger shifter 27 speed
Crankset: Truvativ Blaze 3.0 44.32.22T 175mm crank with power spline
Brakes: Tektro Auriga Comp hydraulic with 180mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor
Wheels: EX-S alloy single wall tough lightweight rims built on CenterPoint Alloy Disc Hubs
Tyres: Continental Mountain King 26x2.4 tyres
Handlebars: Aluminium oversized black riser
Stem: Cold forged 4 bolt oversized Saracen Blade Extreme deluxe
Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL
Seatpost: Saracen Blade alloy micro adjust black finish
Pedals/Extras: BMX style aluminium platform

Some pics from my first decent ride out around Heptonstall Moor.... about 20 miles in total. Brilliant day out on Saturday. Can't wait to get out again!!!

12092009475.jpg

12092009473.jpg

12092009476b.jpg
Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk

Comments

• Nice one, sounds like you had a great time with some wonderful scenery to boot.
  • Thats an ace looking bike mate, so glad you are enjoying your return to cycling (as I am !!!)
    Planet X Superlight with Fulcrum 3's
    Merlin Malt 1
    Specialied Langster Flat Bar Fixed/Fixed
    Giant Seek 3 (full XT group)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice bike, and nice looking ride.

I'd suggest that you really take care with those under-saddle bags, they can fall off when shaken about violently.
    In fact, I'd suggest getting a cheap camelback-like thing from tescos or similar, than you can carry your water, and tools in it.
  • Agree. Or get a cheaper one with velcro strap arrangement that's wrapped around the seat rails. They don't come off.

Looks a spiffy ride too!
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Thanks for the response guys. Am WELL pleased with the bike, especially for the money. And the colour is really distinctive in a gothy kind of way.

I got the underseat bag as I hate wearing a back pack. It's actually screwed onto the seat bars so I'm hoping it won't come off too easy.

Unlike the sodding pump that I clipped under the water bottle :roll: . Damn thing flew off on the 1st bit of downhill I did that day - never to be seen again. Gutted. At least it was only a Halfords cheapie.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk