Rides around Dartmoor?

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'll be there or thereabouts (Launceston) in October so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where I should go? Hilly & scenic being the criteria.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Err, thanks for all the help everyone! Surely must be a few SW riders out there?
  • Hi, the riding is fantastic up on Dartmoor, just make sure you bring adequate clothing as it is the worst place to have to ride in bad weather as its pretty exposed! If you're in launceston, you would get up onto the moors from Tavistock, which is a long 3 mile climb which takes you up high to Princetown. If you dont fancy a hard ride, you could always start from Princetown.

Try to get across to Widecombe-on-the-moor which is a nice small village in a valley, with a choice of steep climbs that you can take out of it. To get there from Princetown, you could go via Dartmeet and Ponsworthy which both have steep climbs along the way. Once at the top of the climb out of widecombe, you'd be very close to Haytor and Hound Tor area, which has some nice scenery.

The other main (not busy) road from Princetown goes up north to Moretonhampstead and half way along there is a pub, the Warren House Inn, which apparently is good. You could get to widecombe by turning right off this road at Bellever I think.

One of my favourite climbs on the moors is right on the other side to you, from Bovey Tracey up to Manaton which is long with great views, though it might be a bit far from where you are.

Sorry if all this seems a bit complicated but it should make sense if you look at a map when reading this! Hills are no issue, they are everywhere! Hope this helps.