Storing bikes outside

willb1983
willb1983 Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in MTB general
I'm moving out of my parents house in the next week or two, to a first floor apartment with a friend. Sadly it doesn't have a garage and I use my bikes too often to leave them behind. The apartment has a balcony big enough to store the bikes securely but I'm worried they'll just rust because of the weather. I'd buy a cover for them but that isn't enough I don't think. I have a Dawes Reddle and a Giant SCR 2.0.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Will

Comments

• where are you moving to and how wet (and damp) will it be?

I keep my bikes inside. Always have done. Outside even if they don't get rained on the cold and damp get into everything and cease it up.

Oh, and I left home 25 years ago (well, almost) so I've had some time to practice and experiment with alternatives :wink:
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • I'll be moving to Ely in Cambridgeshire. Not overly wet/windy but as you said the outside will eat away at them :(

Guess I'll have to make some room somewhere and keep them inside. The racer shouldn't be too much of a problem!
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    My last bike lived outside for 18months, and came to no harm what so ever.

I just kept it covered and lubed (in the right places) and all seemed fine.

I have since bought a shed so my current ride has a nice house. Outside aint the best, but if you have no choice, make the best of it.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    If you do have to keep it outside it must be able to breath. Ie any cover must not hold condensation. That will keep it permanently wet
    I ride therefore I am
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    hook it to your bedroom wall

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • I keep my bikes in the house, even though there is space in the shed.

No chance I would leave them outside to rust.
  • I keep a fixie and a 12 year old Dawes Galaxy outside in a lean to (but covered with a tarpaulin) and the Sunday best bike inside. Seems to work for me as long as everything is lubed properly and they get used regularly.
  • Sorry for the delayed reply. A friend of mine who lives near to where I'm moving to has offered to let me keep my mountain bike in his garage. That just leaves my road bike to home. I guess that could sit in the hallway when it's wet outside.
  • Yep - my rodie is steel so no way i'd keep it outside... in fact even if it wasn't there is no way i'd keep it outside, lol - i like my bikes too much, even my old hybrid workhorse. But that's just me and i've got the space at the moment - if you can keep them covered, secure and lubed up then there should be no problem.
  • I alternate between keeping my good bike outside, or in the shed, when it's outside it's under a sort of verandah thing, so no moisture gets on it or anything.
    ...the only reason it's in the shed when it's not outside is because people in my suburb like to steal things :evil: and my parents wouldn't let me keep it in my room :(
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • I'll buy a bike cover from Halfords and keep it outside if space becomes an issue but serviced regularly to prevent any corrosion.
  • Personally I would never store a bike out in the weather at all. I'm lucky enough to have a large cosy garage, but if you can find any space at all indoors then I would use it.

Is there anywhere indoors that you could fit a hanging bar or bracket to, to hang the bike neatly up?

KK.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    I live in a 3rd floor flat, and the bikes, yep bikes i have 5 in the house, brothers, my HT and FS, rat bike and GF's HT as well!

Not much room for much else!
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    whip the wheels off and keep them under the bed and hook the frame to the wall out of the way :wink: still lots of space and inside the house/apartment where its safe and dry :)
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • nerak
    nerak Posts: 87
    I thought this maay be of use?...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Cave-TidyT ... 034&sr=8-1

51FU-9K5oeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I think there is even one reviewed (prob a diff brand) on bikeradar somewhere!
    Mine's a pint...

... oh this bits for the bike. Mine's a Giant Talon W3 (and a GT Avalanche for sale)