Tour of Britain Live Streaming

barney1000
barney1000 Posts: 16
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Does anybody know where I can find live streaming of the Tour of Britain. I've been watching most of the Vuelta a Espana online and can watch the Tour Of Missouri and it seems ridiculous that the only coverage of our home Tour is getting an hour a day of very badly edited highlights on ITV4.

Comments

• pretty sure there won't be.

Judging by the poor production values and crap editing in Yesterday,s highlights it looked and sounded as if commentary was added afterwards. However i could be wrong.....
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There is no live streaming because no channels are getting the race live. Its very expensive to do that - so you only get it for the big races. TOB isnt that big yet.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    jocksyboy wrote:
    pretty sure there won't be.

Judging by the poor production values and crap editing in Yesterday,s highlights it looked and sounded as if commentary was added afterwards. However i could be wrong.....

...and Hugh Porter telling us to keep an eye out for, in order, Chris Sutton, Michel Merlo, and Ben Swift for the sprint. In that order.

YEAH RIGHT.
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    It is very sad and disappointing not to get live coverage on tv or radio, especially when you see other sports broadcast in from other countrys taking precedence like the grand prix where you see them interviewed for hours. There were big crowds line on the TOB. If they actually show cycling then it would promote it.
  • Yup, commentary added after the event. Just back from the stage 2 finish in the Toon and Hugh was heard to say, over the mic, that he had to go and do the commentary for tonights ITV4 highlights :shock:

Sorry, that hasn't answered your original question has it :oops: :oops:
  • sandbag
    sandbag Posts: 429
    cougie wrote:
    TOB isnt that big yet.

It used to be called the Milk Race pre 2000 and TOB is the updated modern version of it since 2004. What with the high popularity of cycling, especially with the like of Lance Armstrong, it's perfect time to put it on live to promote Britain and cycling. The olympics is coming.

It's a diservice not to be able to get it live in your own country.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The TOB hasnt any links with the Milk Race. Completely different race and different organisers.

TOB suffers from not having a title sponsor - maybe Team Sky will boost its popularity - but the TOB is still a very young tour - compare it to the other Grand Tours - they have history. TOB doesnt.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Surely the commentary can't be put on afterwards given the constant repetitions in short spaces of time.

This together with the ITV 'let's heighten the excitement' style of commentary does tend to spoil the highlights - Reus' win yesterday after going over the low level bridge only a matter of 200mtrs from the line was apparently being threatened by the peleton 30 sec. back

Sound off in future or is there someone we can transfer in from Eurosport?.
  • claudb
    claudb Posts: 212
    You can use the Live Tracker on the 'tourofbritain.co.uk' website to get frequent 'Twitter' updates throughout the stage. It's not good today though due to poor network coverage in our remote outpost of the UK !!! I have been following - so far as it goes - since watching it go by in town earlier.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Watching stage 2 now. Someone needs to keep Porter away from the espresso machine.
  • I'm back from watching the start in Peebles and dashing across country to catch the race in quieter bit of the country (there was still 30-odd folk watching at the unpopulated juntion/bridge/corner we selected though, which is encouraging). Was a good spectacle - well worth the day off work.

Seeing as McCrossan is in the lead car telling spectators what the time gap for the leaders is and Porter's at the finish line, the ITV4 commentary is clearly done after the event. Which makes it pretty irritating as, knowing that, Hugh Porter gives enough info for you to work out the result - like last night he was giving it plenty of "it looks like the duth ld is has got just enough of a lead to take the win". He's not going to say that if he knows he's going to lose...
  • Was a marshal at the finish today.
    Having witnessed a few finishes over recent years, there is no doubt it's a big spectacle, but for those not in the know it must end up looking like a lot of hype about not very much. A big scene with live coverage of the race would massively improve the whole thing as a major event . Indeed, imagine a big scene in Trafalgar square showing the race live for the whole week, what a mega build up to the finale that would be.
    The Pru Tour*** had the big screen, but maybe not the live coverage. Some big companies are missing a trick not buying into this event. Now that Santandar own half of all our high streets, they should be made to sponsor it by law.

*** For those born after toe clips and down tube levers, first we had the Milk Race, this was over at least 2 weeks and had national teams of amateurs in the days when amateurs and pros never raced together . Jimmy Saville once rode it, and it's no surprise that Russians often dominated.It always got decent newspaper and national TV news coverage, but with only 2 tv channels no more than that on the telly. After that we had nothing for a while then the Kellogs Tour sprang up, which was similar to the current set up with a few continental teams out for a wee jolly. Cannot remember if the Prudential took over or if there was a gap, but they did come forward with big money and commitment for several years, but when the dopeing scandals blew up they wanted out, leaving BC with the cash from their legally binding commitment. Some of that cash hoard may have gone into kick starting the modern day ToB as we know it. Hopefully the current formula of spreading the sponsorship burden will ensure it's long term future.

The current set up certainly works well for my part of the world, the big money sponsors like Prudential wanted high profile big town finishes, but with the current set up a council like Dumfries and Galloway , who are really keen to promote the area as a cycling destination, have been able to buy in at an affordable price

Anyone at the Gretna finish? Shortbread, woolly jumpers and bag pipers, everything Scotland is proud of !!!
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk