Tire sizes?

dudemark1
dudemark1 Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Pretty new to MTB but very keen.
Today was on red grade trail hitting a mix of sufaces from gravel, rocks, hard mud and tree stumps.
Felt like my from wheel was skidding sometimes. Riding a hard tail with 26x2.1 tires did the same course on my brother in laws hard tail bike and felt much more stable, he has 26x3.5 tires.

was just wondering what advice people give to tire size for this type riding?
many thanks in advance.[/b]

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think you mean 2.5!

Tyre sizes vary from brand to brand ie Conti come up narrow, Tioga quite wide.

If you get bigger, check your frame and fork has clearance and they are suitable for your rims.
  • I suffered the same problem found front wheel washing out so replaced 2.1 which came on bike (cannondale HT) with specialized Esakr 2.35 and the difference was very noticable from the first ride no longer holding back on fast loose turns.
  • It may also depend upon what tires you are running, like for example there are differences between an XC tire and a DH tire, width aside (more "hardcore" tires are wider), there are also different tire shapes (square: side nobs get bigger as they near the sidewall, or round: nobly bits stay the same size all the way around).

nob shape (square, ramped, C-shaped, the list goes on) will also determine things like rolling resistance, cornering ability, braking and traction-some tire (like the Maxxis Wet Scream or Bontrager Mud-X) for example are designed for mud-with sparse, tall nob-shapes to cut through mud. list goes on for other conditions.

Where I ride (in Australia) my local trails are loose-over-hardpack and I ride XC sorta stuff so I did have WTB MotoRaptors and I've currently got Maxxis CrossMarks. For the sort of stuff you are describing, maybe Continetal Mountain King's? or Schwalbe Nobby Nics? Sort of up to you, look at what other people on the trail are using and make your decision then. :)

Hopefully that was of some help to you, and I hope you enjoy MTB! best sport in the world! ;)
    92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig

Walk (Ride) softly and carry a big fish

Yay, 100 hundred posts :-)
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Tyre pressures can make a huge difference and is free.... :D
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • thanks guys, a huge help.