Spesh 08 Enduro SL Expert

Davy-g
Davy-g Posts: 401
edited September 2009 in MTB general
any forum users own the Spesh 08 Enduro SL Expert?

if yes: what are your opinnions on it, what weight it is, are the Spesh dual crown forks any good, as I see they have changed them for Fox forks on the 09 model (non dual crown). and would it be straight swap out of the rear shock if the need arose in the future?
Spesh do a five year warranty on the forks and rear shock, i take that means from time of purchase?
How difficult is it to set up the suspension?, as i have read that it can be fiddly to dial in the correct settings.

would this bike be overkill for mainly 7Stanes work with the odd full downhill run every so often.

TIA to n.e.1 who takes the time to reply... 8)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ive got one, i love it but i made a few changes:
    3867429728_098297737f.jpg
    the spesh forks and shock were really good but the fork sufferred with reliability problems and needed to be sent back for repair. so i decided to change them for something else.

setting the sus up was easy enough but there are lots of adjustments which can be made so it will take time to figure out what suits best

swapping the rear shock was easy, i chose a dhx but there were millions of choices in the suitable size.

your warranty will be from the day of purchase and is superb, when i had to send my fork back, it was back fully working within 2 days.

as for it being over kill? i dont hink so, i ride mine like an xc bike and its ace. mine weighs about just over 30lbs in the current setup, i think the original was about 31.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That's a pretty good weight, looks a lot more!
  • Anonymous
    was pleasantly suprised to be honest, its just like riding an xc bike then itll thunder down stuff.

the original fork was lighter than the lyrik but the wheels are a bit lighter than the originals.
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    i have one, and mine weighs about 29lb, only changes on mine at the moment are different tyres (tubeless) and a charge spoon ti saddle, oh and a xtr rear cassette

I've not had a lot of problems with my fork though at the moment the compression dial is bust, but a new (compression cartridge) has been ordered in for me under warranty

you do have to have your shock and forks serviced about once a year to keep the warranty up though, saying that when i sent mine off for a service they swapped out the 08 air cartridge for a 09 one, i cant remember what the fault was, but i hadn't noticed it and there was some damage to the shock so they just swapped it for a new one

i do think the bike rides brilliantly though
    what are brakes for again
  • Davy-g
    @ Dan , I thought the 08 model was a tan colour? what size frame (inches) is your bike?

@ Kangaroo, what size frame is your bike, and how much did it cost to get the yearly service done on the forks and rear shock.

thanks for your input...
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Mate of mine has one, sent the fork back once under warranty (less than my Lyrik) and other than that has had no problems with the bike. Its light for what it is, and the fork is stiff and plush.- only real issue (for me) is the 25mm axle means that wheel upgrades if you so wish are a bit harder to find a different front hub....
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • kangaroo
    i have the medium frame
    if i rmember corectly it was £85 for the fork and £75 for the shock, could of been the other way around though
  • Davy-g
    edited September 2009
    kangaroo wrote:
    i have the medium frame
    if i rmember corectly it was £85 for the fork and £75 for the shock, could of been the other way around though

wooo... expensive....will have to get in touch with the local spesh dealer to see how much they charge.. would say the Spesh warranty has got the Enduro owners by the short and curlies... it would appear that I am doing a good job of talking myself outa buying the 08 Enduro.... :roll: :roll:

is the medium frame 17" or 18"?

just an update... cost of forks/shock service is £200
  • Anonymous
    a good resource and place to find out about others experiences is here, it has the instructions for carrying out the services required at home and im sure this is enough to keep the fork in warranty:

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7
  • kangaroo
    as i understand it, the forks and shock have to go back to specialized for there service to keep the warranty up

it was a authorized specialized dealer i went to with mine.
  • Davy-g
    man o man... decisions, decisions.... :x :x :x

I have put a lot of hours into researching the bike, it would appear that there is inherrent problems with the Propreitary Spesh suspension (e150 and the afr shock).
    That is one sticking point with the possible potential purchase of the 08 Enduro expert and the other sticking point is the fact that I would have to fork (no pun intended there) out £200 per year for the service of the said forks/rear shock just to keep the warranty validated for 5 years. and no doubt the service cost will increase each and every year.

the local Spesh dealer (Dumfries 72 miles away) told me he would just ship the parts out to TFT Tuned for servicing, that is a 10 day turnaround (He said), Dales in Glasgow stated that they would ship the parts to Specialized tech for servicing, this is a 7 day turnaround (they said).

Think maybe perhaps I need to do a wee bit more looking around for a different model...
    :roll: :roll: pit realy as it looked so promising at only £1300 for the 08 Model.

thanks to all for your input.. was much appreciated...
  • kangaroo
    actually the service time for the spesh fork is every 250 hours
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I've had mine 18 months,as stated by ratty it went back once for a warranty repair and has been perfect since.it still feels like new.When it feels like it needs a service i'll do it myself(plenty of info on mtbr)Its the best fork i've had,but the 25mm bolt through does mean you're limited for choice for new wheels.
    I'm thinking of buying a new 2010 model,but the expert comes with a Lyrik,ratty had problems with his,so i'd be tempted to shell out the extra £500 for the pro,it has the new E-160(single crown) on it.Or i'll see if Specialized will do a deal and put me an E-150 on one 8) That's how much i rate the fork.
  • kangaroo
    i was talking to one of the blokes at Goldtec and they can make a adaper for the e150 fork so you can use 20mm through axle wheels
  • sniper68
    kangaroo wrote:
    i was talking to one of the blokes at Goldtec and they can make a adaper for the e150 fork so you can use 20mm through axle wheels
    I talked to Specialized,there isn't.Or rather they don't make one OR wouldn't offer warranty on the fork with a non-recognised adapter.The problem you have is the right hand side of the fork is threaded(the axle screws in)Some riders on Mtbr in the USA have drilled/milled the threads and fit home-made adapters,some work,some don't.You just have to buy the 25mm bolt-thru hub(DTSwiss) from Spesh..£45 and have a wheel built around it,or pay £500 for a Roval wheel-set(owned by Spesh :wink: ) or pay £450 for a pair of industry9 hubs and build your wheels around them.

I'm going for the £45 hub from spesh :lol:
  • Davy-g
    Guys, is there a distinct difference between the Eduro SL Expert 2008 and just the Eduro Expert 2008 (apart from the colour), as i see the ones shown on here are silver and the one i see on the Spesh site is brown.... :? :?
  • kangaroo
    make sure your looking at the uk site as, they only did the expert in silver
  • sniper68
    edited September 2009
    The Enduro SL is the only Enduro 07-09.The UK 08 expert is silver and the US is brown,the 07 UK was brown.They're all SLs.There were some old 06 experts sold in 07.Totally different frame/bike
  • Davy-g
    edited September 2009
  • Anonymous
    those you have linked to are the same as mine
  • Davy-g
    ibbo68 wrote:

is there something wrong with my eyes....LOL, to me they look brown!, your bikes look silver....
  • kangaroo
    i think its how they took the photo, whatever the enviroment or objects they used to reflect in the metal to make it look shiny has made it look gold, but it is silver
  • Davy-g
    kangaroo wrote:
    i think its how they took the photo, whatever the enviroment or objects they used to reflect in the metal to make it look shiny has made it look gold, but it is silver

thanks for the clarification..... tired old eyes here tonite.... 8)
  • Davy-g
    Bugga,......!

phoned the shop on Monday to place me order.. they had sold OUT!.....Ah well.. :roll: