Singular peregrine

djb1971
djb1971 Posts: 565
edited September 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Monster steel cross bike. May put drops on but currently running north roads.

More close up pics on my blog link below

DSC00404.jpg

Comments

• Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    Lose the mud guards!
  • djb1971
    No!
  • Crazy looking bike- I like 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Dowse40
    Dowse40 Posts: 102
    The mudgaurds look lame.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • djb1971
    They wont in winter when I'm out in the snow on studs :wink:

I bought the frame because it could take full guards and wide tyres so they aint coming off.

I've got bike with no guards.

Snotty - it is even more mental to ride :lol:
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Interesting

that is all...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    djb1971 wrote:
    Snotty - it is even more mental to ride :lol:
    How is it "mental" to ride?

Strange, very strange.
    How do you manage to keep your chain on the front ring?
  • Whytepeak
    Hope Nick dosen't see this :lol: Lugged mtb frames indeed...
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Anonymous
    well, let's be honest, it doesn't resemble an MTB frame in any shape or form, really.
  • djb1971
    It's not a mtb.It's a cross bike.

If you click on the link there's a flickr set with lots of singulars ( swift, hummingbird etc)

http://singularcycles.blogspot.com/2007/05/finally-peregrine-prototypes-are-here.html

The frames are designed to take just about anything you want to fit to them i.e. 29s, 700s, 26s, geared, ss or fixed. They are used a touring frames or cross frames. If you look at singulars site you will understand his bikes a bit more. They are designed to be a little different. This is a cross bike without drops because I've used hydraulics instead of cable pull road discs. It'll be used at Cannock, Hanchurch and doing lots of mucky road miles. It will eventually be hub geared on 29s.

Yeeham you are obviously too young to remember the first mtbs that looked like this. You young uns are too used to seeing linkages and sus forks on everything. Have a ride on a rigid and become enlightened!!!
  • looks very similar to my very first "mountain" bike.

:oops: showing my age???

have fun on it fella!
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • sweet looking bike. I found out about Singular cycles after I had bought my road rat. The Singular would have suited just as well but looks sooo much prettier!

and +1 for the chainline. With the 44T in the outer position on the crank like that, a non-SS chainring (I think) and no chain retainer, don't you get chain shipping problems in 1st?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • djb1971
    I was going to order a Roadrat but popped in my lbs and saw this frame. The roadrat is a great bike. I like builders tea :)

It wont shift into 1st because I've set the screws to stop it so there wont be much crossing over. The ebb allows a little lateral movement to give a good chainline. It sits almost in the centre of the cassette with no spacers. It will eventually be alfine equipped but it may also be a ss. I'm playing around a bit first to get the gear ratio right for what I need it for . I think I'll need a smaller chainring, with a 44t I may be pushing up a few off road climbs. I don't want to lose the road speed though because I ride to Cannock & Hanchurch from Stoke.
  • Anonymous
    djb1971 wrote:
    Yeeham you are obviously too young to remember the first mtbs that looked like this. You young uns are too used to seeing linkages and sus forks on everything. Have a ride on a rigid and become enlightened!!!
    Don't be an arse. :roll:
    I'm not that old, my first MTB experience was around the time of muddy fox couriers. I remember that they USED to look like that, but thankfully, it was a long time ago.
    Sloping top tubes became the norm, because they allowed more rider movement.
    Over time, mountain bike frames have evolved, ultimately into what we have today. I have no inclination to go back to frames that were pretty unsuited to what we were riding them on.

Sorry if this offends you, but just because someone's clinging on to an ancient design, doesn't make it any good.
  • djb1971
    I'm not an arse and I'm also not offended.

You need a chill pill.

I enjoy riding different types of bikes.
  • Whytepeak
    - Just a friendly observation, why are your brake levers so low?

Is is due to the sweep of the bars? :?
  • djb1971
    They are now angled a little further up, it had only just been put together on the pic and I was messing with the adjustable stem. They are currently on north road style bars ( like Pashley Guvnor bars ) which have a funny back,in and up or back,in and down sweep depending on which way up you run them. I'm waiting for some Nittos to arrive which will make everything sit better because they have a better curve and sweep :wink:
  • ramemtbers
    ramemtbers Posts: 1,562
    different :D
  • I run my roadrat Alfine and 44:19. It's only for onroad commuting and touring but 1st would probably be low enough for climbs as steep as the frame geometry would allow, I think.

if you're just playing around with the fit ATM then fine, but don't expect the 44T to last forever (mine, off a Shimmy Hone set, lasted about 1000km of road use)

and yeehaamcgee there's some cyclocross guys want to have a word with you about current geometry ;-)

• Anonymous
    and yeehaamcgee there's some cyclocross guys want to have a word with you about current geometry ;-)
    Fine. I have some pretty strong views about the pointlessness that is cyclocross.
  • looks like it would make a nice winter training bike, one for those wet, shi**y days!
  • djb1971
    I run my roadrat Alfine and 44:19. It's only for onroad commuting and touring but 1st would probably be low enough for climbs as steep as the frame geometry would allow, I think.

I know the 44t for road will be fine loaded with the cassette currently fitted but I think off road I may suffer a bit on loose/muddy steep stuff. The 44 will be replaced with a surly once I know the exact gearing :wink: I'm sticking some Marathons on and going away for a few days on it so I'll know what needs altering after that, hopefully.

How long have you been running the Alfine? Had any issues with it?
    LoUiS1985 wrote:
    looks like it would make a nice winter training bike, one for those wet, shi**y days!

That's exactly it's intended use, I can't wait for snow so I can try the stud tyres :shock:
  • Anonymous
    Istill don't understand the single chainring thing, and how that's going to work.
    Can you fit something like a chainguide to that BB shell to keep it on?
    Something like a MRP 1.x should work - But I don't know how big a chainring they'll accomodate, as they tend to be MTB-oriented.
  • djb1971
    It has stayed on fine after a run yesterday. The ebb allows a little lateral movement so that the chainline is good . The mrp will work because I could rotate the ebb around to get it fit but it will eventually be an Alfine hub.

At the moment I'm playing around with gearing to get a good on/off road ratio then it'll be single speed until I get the Alfine hub :wink:

Oh, and.......... it may well go to drops and 29's.

I just can't decide yet :lol:
  • Anonymous
    I've heard some reports of poor reliability on the Shimano Alfine though.
    The complexity if something goes wrong would drive me towards a standard rear mech solution every time.
  • djb1971
    I know the Nexus hubs went pear shaped if not serviced regularly, I'm not sure about the Alfine.

If I can find a gear I'm happy with I may go ss. I've got the spacers already.
    It'll probably end up being something completely different from what I planned..............

I've just seen another frame
    :wink:

tbh I've just built it to get it on the road, I still not 100% certain how it'll be :roll:
  • :D
    roberts dogs bolx
    cannondale hooligan 1
    cannondale badboy
  • I've heard some reports of poor reliability on the Shimano Alfine though.

I'm not saying there haven't been any, but I have not heard any reliability issues (quite the opposite, especially with people running them for offroad stuff, which Shimano still don't market the Alfine for afaik)

I have had no reliability issues myself after 8 months of 100km-ish a week. That said mine stays on the tarmac. The only thing I would say is you need a separate barrel adjuster inline as neither the Alfine nor the JTek include one and of course the cable stretches

chain stays on, just like any singlespeed (perregrine has a EBB, no?)

as for the 44T that is quite tall for offroad. Sheldon says 33-102" with 35mm tyres/700c rims and 19T out back, which almost exactly mimics a 44T / 11-34 cass combination on 26"2.35 tyres. based on that I'd be looking more at 36T front, which gives a 24-76"spread on 700c rims and 2"tyres, about the same as a 32T / 11-34 cass combo on 26" with 2.35 tyres. have a play here

• djb1971
    the 44t was fine around Hanchurch and Keele the other day btu there is nothing too steep there and no major mud. I know as it is I'm going to have to get off sooner rather than later and push :lol: but it also gets me home quicker on the tarmac.

I'm 99% sure I'm going for Alfine. I've priced it up individually but I'm going over to the lbs to get complete kit cost ready built so I can just stick the wheel on and go. The only major issue I can find about Alfines are that they have given some wheels spoke issues but I think a decent wheel builder can sort that out.

I'm in the process of enquiring about another frame so time will tell. I've sold 3 bikes so have gaps that need to be filled and I want an Alfine :lol: