confidence help

shieldsy94
shieldsy94 Posts: 342
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
i went riding to my local dirt jumps, did first jump but second jump came which is a tabletop, i went too fast and cleared landing ramp, i landed at an angle but a tree was coming quickly so i bailed :o . i saved the bike but now i daren't do jumps all my mates do. what is the best advice?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Go slower and use the brakes.
  • Confidence grows incrementaly.
    If you'd never dived before, you wouldn't turn up at your local pool and head straight for the 10 metre board. It's just the same with bikes. No one expects you to be nailing the Fort William downhill first time out.

Take your time, don't force it.
    Find a jump you're comfortable with and learn what your bike does in the air, how your body position can affect it, how to make it do what you want and then move on from there.

I grew up during the BMX boom in the eighties so I feel comfortable in the air, but when I watch one of my friends who hates his wheels leaving the ground, I notice that he tenses up when he gets airbourne. I suppose what I'm saying is practice.
  • maybe try and session a large single jump to get used to being in the air, getting the right speed, and landing exactly where you intend to. Then take to the lines of several jumps.
  • cheers about that, im comfortable in the air but the fact that im scared i will washout again may be the problem.