Choosing quality bike INTRO

popstar
popstar Posts: 1,392
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello to all new beginners who think to join MTB club of riders. 
The first thing as all of us do is the most difficult one, -is to buy a good decent bike for reasonable money. Not the easiest task, there is tonnes of information on e-net, magazines, forum ... but only YOU can make up your mind on the bike you want. 
Myself, after doing so much of research, made some criteria as -brand, -depreciation -frame, -gear.
Had a budget of roughly £500 but as always like many others would stretch things further for that special one.
My choice on available bikes came to Specialized Rockhopper SL expert vs Boardman Pro 09. 
Thanks to this great forum and it's members I was very well informed on Specialized, but unfortunately couldn't find as much info on Boardman ... even though "what Mtb" magazine rated it the best £800+ hardtail bike.
Overall Boardman is lighter than Spesh by 1kg (correct me if am wrong), but Rockhopper SL expert does have that oozing quality gear, taking the fact that if you want to cut off 1kg of Rockhoppers weight on average it would blow out of your pocket some £1k, I had a very difficult decision to make. I mean  gear on Boardman is good quality and solid, but it doesn't have the fresh gear flashy bling like Spesh's.
Am sure both bikes are good, but I made my own choice, and hope will not regret it. After I baptize my new bike will write more, if people are interested.

p.s.6 month Boardman PRO 09 traded on average 700-850, while I managed to snatch 4days old Spesh (with receipt and price bar-code stickers on the frame) for 675,That's special!  As they say - power of eBay*       
What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    "but it doesn't have the fresh gear flashy bling like Spesh's"

I have to disagree, the Pro still has better 'flashy' gear than the Spesh. That is why it is lighter.

You need to try the bikes out really and see what suits you.
  • popstar
    Superersonic, as you may have better knowledge, could you explain what is the difference between SRam x9 and x0 and shimano XT gear, as I am ex roadie in my younger years and was always biased towards shimano stuff* ... guess here in UK I could discover more about some stuff.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • supersonic
    X0 is the lighter, more expensive kit - but performance is very similar to X9.

XT is shimanos offering so is hard to directly compare. It fits in price wise at about the X9 level at the minute.
  • Hi, I'm fairly new to Downhill but love it and do it a lot, I'm 15 years old and am looking for some local downhill races/clubs in Hampshire (south of england) that i can attend, but to attend them i need a decent bike first! I'm looking for a Entry-level Downhill bike for under £1500, any suggestions, also any body know any local downhill races for my age? Thanks guys :D
    Ride hard. Jump big.

http://miloxc3.pinkbike.com/
  • supersonic
    MiloXC3 wrote:
    Hi, I'm fairly new to Downhill but love it and do it a lot, I'm 15 years old and am looking for some local downhill races/clubs in Hampshire (south of england) that i can attend, but to attend them i need a decent bike first! I'm looking for a Entry-level Downhill bike for under £1500, any suggestions, also any body know any local downhill races for my age? Thanks guys :D

Why have you posted this in someone elses thread?!

Try the race and DH section ;-)
  • ok lol sorry its my first day on bikeradar xD
    Ride hard. Jump big.

http://miloxc3.pinkbike.com/
  • supersonic
    And for buying advice, the Buying section is best.

Welcome to BR!
  • popstar
    After a bit of lurking In Some adverts, I have realized that X Ram as a brand do a lot of quality stuff not only switch gear as I call it ( derailiers etc), boy, they do dominate fork sector which says a lot. Correct me if I wrong, shimano do quality stufff yet manage not to charge a fortune for it's gear, unlike X Ram, which makes shimano like a Sainsbury's of British supermarket chain. So we say X Ram = M & S?
    Sorry to simbolise brands, just hope many other readers wouldn't face struggle as I did and would have clearer mind on things they choose.

With respect to MTB Pro's ... Da Popstar =P