Have i just knackered my front brake?

tvi_82
tvi_82 Posts: 32
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
So i got a new bike (Genesis Core 10) and decided to go for a ride.... i dont have a bike rack yet so i put the back seats down in the car, took the front wheel off and put the bike in the back of the car.

When i got to my destination i took the bike out of the car and accidentally pulled the lever for the front brake.... without the wheel being there :shock: :oops:

I then couldnt get the wheel on as the pads stayed closed and had to use a thin piece of plastic to wedge them open to get the wheel on, i must have scrapped the pads. When the wheel finally got on there was a build up of fibres around the pad and stopping power was decreased for maybe 10 mins, but it seems fine now.

Should i replace the front pads anyway?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Take them out and inspect them. They may well be fine now they've bedded back in.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tvi_82 wrote:
    When the wheel finally got on there was a build up of fibres around the pad and stopping power was decreased for maybe 10 mins, but it seems fine now.

Should i replace the front pads anyway?

Nope it sounds fine now.

use pad spacers next time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Or don't pull the lever when the wheel's out.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Top tip. Instead of pressing something against the braking surface of the brake pads to force them back in, put pressure in between the pad backing, and the piston.
    Prevents you gouging your friction material.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Top tip. Instead of pressing something against the braking surface of the brake pads to force them back in, put pressure in between the pad backing, and the piston.
    Prevents you gouging your friction material.

but then you have a greater chance of craking the pistons.

Pistons are made out of a hard but brittle non heat conductive material.

NEVER press on the pistons, it is easier to replace the pads than a piston.

Note that using a ring spanner to press pistons home is not the same as trying to force a gap in the pads.

Pads spacers eliminate the risk.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Really? :shock:
    Crap, I've been pushing them back like that with plastic tyre levers for years. I keep losing spacers :oops: