Stronger rear wheel - advice please

mellisr1
mellisr1 Posts: 67
edited October 2009 in Tour & expedition
I normally post in the road section but as this is about my hybrid bike which I use wiith a fair amount of luggage on and hope to do a bit of exploring on I thought you guys might be the best bet for some advice (I'll put this in the commuting section too)

It's not a touring bike as such (a Scott Sportster with Alex G 6000 700C wheels). basically the problem I'm having is recently seeing quite a few snapped spokes and the wheel keeps going out of true.

I'm no featherweight (about 15 stones) and often take two fairly full panniers. I ride a mix of road and off road tracks (but pretty good - think gravelly toe paths) but this is happening more and more. I don't want any sort of catastrophic failure!

My gut feeling is that the rims are just pretty budget and stronger ones would help. However, on searching the web, I just cant seem to find out what would be stronger? how much should I pay etc. I'm hoping that some of you who tour with fair weight on the bike might recommend a make or wheel in a 700c size which would suit.
Any advice gratefully appreciated.
Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/

Comments

• sirmy
    sirmy Posts: 67
    A few months ago I bought some 26" Rgida Sputnik rims on dore LX hubs from Spa in Harrogate. I haven't used them with a heavy load but have given them plenty of dirt track and poor road use and they are still true. I'd say they were definitely worth considering
  • thanks

Spoke to really helpful guy at SPA cycles in harrogate and went for just a rear (he talked me out of replacing the front as well as it's pretty okay)

got a Rigida sputnik 700c coming with a Deore hub, they even build them with stronger spokes on the drive side which sounds sensible to me!

now just got to wait a week or two - just have to get the blooming cassette off now!

Might put a post on workshop section as its on tighter than anything - just bent my chain whip like it was butter when tried to loosen the lock washer!! ah well

cheers for the advice
    Matt
    Looking for a friendly & welcoming club in Warrington/North Cheshire area ?
    Try North Cheshire Clarion : http://www.northcheshireclarion.co.uk/
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Is your bike a road or an MTB?

Deore is a MTB hub which is wider than a road bike hub meaning it won't fit a road bike frame. If you've a road bike (130mm drop out spacing) you should go for a handbuilt 700c wheel with at least 36 holes as you are quite heavy at 15 stones and you carry heavy loads. Plain DT stainless steel spokes on the drive side and double butted spokes on the non drive side.

I would go for a std Mavic Open Pro CD rim. Strong, durable and reasonably priced.

A good handbuilt wheel will be very strong and last years. The rim should wear out before the wheel needs truing if built properly :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • I concure - you need 36 spokes. And a rim that's about 22mm wide, as narrow ones are weaker.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • I have found that Mavic 719 rims laced onto Shimano Deore 36 hole hubs with Sapim Strong spokes on the drive side and single butted Sapim spokes on the non-drive side to be bullet proof.

The have coped with thousands of miles of touring with a 22 stone rider polus two full rear panniers plus tent at the rear.
  • jibi
    jibi Posts: 857
    What Vernon says

if it can take him and gear, hen it must be stong .....
    I have had the good fortune to ride with Vernon in the past

and he really is 22 stone!!!!!!

Looks like a tongan sumo wrestler on a bike LOL

Tailwinds