Oh dear

iancity
iancity Posts: 20
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Right, so, this is the beginners section right :)

Bought me bike about a month ago (Trek 6300 love it) but noticed on my last ride that the back wheel tyre was softish, never mind I thought, I've got one of those clever little pump things - no problem. Anyway, 30 minutes later just decided to ride home on a soft tyre cos sould not get the bloody thing to work.

At home, thought no probs, its a pump, how can it not work - anyway, had loads of problems getting the thing on the valve, eventually got it on tight enough to put some air in, but unfortunatley, once the tyre was pumped up couldnt get the pump off. Wiggled it and wiggled it and finally it came off, but it also hit th'nib' bit and caused the whole flipping tyre to deflate completely :cry:

So, presumed it was just me, had a look on the net for instructions on how to use the pump ( :oops: ) but all I found was reviews saying it was a very hard pump to get on right - phew, I thought, hah, its not me, just nbeed a new pump. So tonight I tootled to the shop and bought a proper 'blow joe' thing from Halfords - exactly the same problem, cannot get the pump on the valve properly, ebded up twisting the valve and in a desperate effort to restraighten it managed to snap the 'nib' off :oops: :cry::(

So, tomorrow, a trip to the LBS...a couple of questions
1) Is the valve easily repairable - new valve I take it - a 2 minute job?
2) Where am I going wrong - how far down the valve should the pump fitting go - almost to the wheel or just covering the 'nib' of the valve (I know thats not the correct terminolgy)

Cheers for any help

Ian

Comments

• iancity wrote:
    So, tomorrow, a trip to the LBS...a couple of questions
    1) Is the valve easily repairable - new valve I take it - a 2 minute job?
    2) Where am I going wrong - how far down the valve should the pump fitting go - almost to the wheel or just covering the 'nib' of the valve (I know thats not the correct terminolgy)

Cheers for any help

Ian

1. The valve is attached to the inner-tube, so they'll just fit a new tube. A quick job.

2. My pump goes as far onto the valve as possible. I know It's on correctly when I can hear the air "hiss" out before the pump is "locked" into position.
  • fitch28
    fitch28 Posts: 155
    if it is a presta valve are you remembering to twist open the top of the valve first? Also the pump i have (a topeak something or other) has a bit at the top you flip up to lock the pump onto the valve (just remember to pop it back down before removing pump!!!) Hope this helps!
  • ji_
    ji_ Posts: 38
    And a few pumps flip down to lock on an up to open. If the pump won't go on easily try opening or closing the lever first.
    www.louthnet.com/LAMB - Louth Area Mountain Bikers
  • Are you using the correct attachment? i.e. trying to put schraeder pump onto presta valve?
  • Yeah its a presta valve, and the attachment is right. Tried it this morning on my other tyre and seems to fit a little better so maybe the rear valve was just bent a little making it hard to get a proper connection :?:

Anyway, dropped it off at the LBS (actually quite impressed I managed to get the wheel off so easily, hope it goes on as easy) so hopefully riding again this afternoon.

Thanks for all the replies...
  • Some pumps do seem to have a habit of bending Presta valves (or maybe it's just my technique!).

I managed to slice a large chunk out of my thumb last week trying to pump my tyre up in a hurry on the way to work. The pump went on and inflated the tube with no problem, but was a real bugger to pull off again. I gave it a good yank and of course it suddenly came off, sending my hand flying into the sharp edge of the brake disc. Mucho blood but surprisingly little pain... :evil:
  • I also had this problem and after busting 3 valves :( i ended up reverting to the schraeder valve and its loads better..
  • I have had presta problems before, schraeder just work how I like and how I've always known growing up.
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • Presta valves can sometimes be a bit a problematic in my experience, some work every time, some need a few a goes. Make sure the screw is fully undone (don't worry - It can't come out)

Unfortunately I have to run Presta as the holes in my rims are too small for the schraeder (car tyre) type., which may or may not be the case for you.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • I do sympathize... presta valves are good performers but a bit delicate and fiddly. When using them, be firm but gentleand never 'bend' them.

KK