I Quit

Druid \'64
Druid \'64 Posts: 30
edited September 2009 in Health, fitness & training
I Quit............Smoking that is, on Tuesday the 8th sept i finished my last pouch of tobbaco and thats it.
I have wanted a smoke but i think i am over the worst.
6 years ago i did it for a year and started MTBing but lots of reason got me back on fags and off the bike.
I am back to the bike as well and that helped me to dicide to stop smoking 'cos my fitness is on the floor. I was never mega fit but 10 miles a day in the forest was not hard and now it feels like that would do harm, so its a gentle 10 mile loop on road 3 times a week.

Les Aka DRUID \64

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Congratulations mate.
    Keep riding, and you'll REALLY appreciate the difference.
    I occasionally get the "I want a ciggarette" feeling, but nothing drives the "don't" message home so strongly as getting to the top of a massive climb, with relative ease.
    I recently had one of those moments in Innerleithen.
    For some reason, I had this strong urge to buy a pack of fags all week, but then we rode the Innerleithen XC course.
    I got up the entire climb to the moor, without really getting out of breath, and when I reached the top, I thought.
    "Man, I'm NEVER smoking again"

The realisation hit me hard that there's no way I could be doing what I was, if I was still smoking. I was almost in tears of happiness that I don't smoke anymore.
  • nice one :)

Stick to it mate... you'll feel a whole lot better for it!
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Cracking :!: :!:

Well done mate :lol: I wish i had the strength/will-power to quit (hopefully in the New Year!) - I reckon it's good for a few more mph on the commute (up to nearly 21mph at the moment) - should also help me on the hills (my major weakness).

Keep it up dude :D
  • Anonymous
    Chrissz, words cannot describe the difference it makes, it's like having a supercharger and a nitrous tank fitted!
    Give it a go in the new year, and good luck!
  • I had my last smoke in March , WOW...thats 6 months ago... :shock: Its easy peasy , it really is.

Good on you for kicking the habit ! :D

Andy
  • Anonymous
    richara3 wrote:
    I had my last smoke in March , WOW...thats 6 months ago... :shock: Its easy peasy , it really is.

Good on you for kicking the habit ! :D

Andy
    It's different for different folk though
    I find that when I ride less in the winter, I tend to slip back into it.
    Same when I blew my knee out, I couldn't run, cycle, or even swim for months, and ended up on the ciggies again.
    If I'm active, I'm fine, but otherwise I lose heart somehow. :oops:
  • The way i heard it you have to replace one addiction with another. I have replaced fags with riding (not on 20 a day yet!) and as a start I set myself a target of "last pouch" rather than a date :idea: that made one pack last twice as long! Still, it's not as hard now I have decided, If you say I should your not commiting to it, You need to say I AM But we're all different.

Chrissz, you can do it!
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    Good for you!

II'm nearly 5 months off the fags and don't miss them that much at all.

Keep it up it gets easier!