newbie advice on tyres

brakeshoe
brakeshoe Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Need some tyre advice riding a specialized fsr xc with resolution 26x2.0 dual compound tyres with aramid bead. I think I will mainly be riding on roads 90% till next year should I change tyres for this or not, and which. thanks for any pointers.

Comments

• How about semi slicks? Quite a few of the Trailquest lads use them, they reckon their not too bad off road either.
    Even in the darkest of days, Churchill still rode his Spesh.
    th_specialized001-1.jpg
  • Yes thanks just been looking round and going to get some semi slick panaracer mach ss tyres 24 pounds for two not bad. cheers
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    edited September 2009
    brakeshoe

I used Panaracer Mach SS and after riding into a dry stone wall doing the Liverpool to Leeds canal route decided they are sh*t off-road.

I also found the Mach SS punctured easily, had 3 punctures from thorns in the wet on the the same doomed Liverpool to Leeds canal ride !

I now use the Continental Traffic 09s in a 1.9" size - £12.99 each from Chain Reaction Cycles:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34765

The 1.9" come up quite narrow so if you like a nice chunky tyre then maybe worth looking at the 2.1" which are only £10 each. The 1.9" work for me though.

I have found the Traffic to be hard wearing, rolls very fast on road and is competent off road (done Dalby in the wet and Sherwood in the dry since getting them a few months back). Also, never had a puuncture as the central rolling tread is quite thick (the Panaracre MachSS has is very thin across central rolling area).

They are not light at 850g each but I think for a do anything commuter tyre and some canal paths and reclaimed railway cycle tracks etc they are very hard to beat !
  • The 09 Continental Traffic has a new tread pattern so be carefull to make sure you get an 09 - I never used the 08 which was very different !
  • Okay thanks for advice ordered the mach ss already but will keeps these in mind cheers