Panniers - front or back?

moconnor01
moconnor01 Posts: 27
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi there - just returned form a fabulous trip on the veloroute around Cahors - sth west France. Friend and I were debating, when riding up hills is it best to have panniers on the front or rear of your bike ... or does it matter? What do you think? :D

Comments

• clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    If you are going to have only one set, make them rear panniers. The front ones affect your steering and so tend only to be fairly lightly loaded.
  • moconnor01 wrote:
    Hi there - just returned form a fabulous trip on the veloroute around Cahors - sth west France. Friend and I were debating, when riding up hills is it best to have panniers on the front or rear of your bike ... or does it matter? What do you think? :D

Cahors route is lovely, was there late July, cycled down the Lot to a place called Touzac.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • If you are going to have only one set, make them rear panniers.

+1 for this - front panniers are great if you've got plenty to carry so that your wight distribution is better. If you only have heavy rear panniers then you do find you do power wheelies on steep hills.
  • tebbit
    tebbit Posts: 604
    + 1 Rear panniers, always used them, agree with the stability comments
  • thanks all ...... I tend towards the rear - keeps the steering nice and light. :P

Agree with you Wallace1492...... if anyone is up for stunning scenery and virtually NO traffic .. vineyards and apple orchids - definitely do the Cahors velo route