split Shin

Alex-nutsaboutbiking
edited September 2009 in MTB general
after destroying my shin on my pedals yet again my shin is now starting to resemble a cats scratching post. so now ive bravley decided to change my pedals but im not sure what to get because i what flats that are incredibley grippy in any weather but also dont have huge spikes that will reck my shins which as far as i can tell is basicly one whole contridiction any ideas...? Any one else had this proble and if so how did you resolve the matter?

Comments

• oh shin lol woops
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I use cheap footy shin pads! 10 quid.
  • ye i have shin pads but it mostly happens when out with mates nd i get a bit carried away not on propper bike rides
  • OH NO Dan
    OH NO Dan Posts: 186
    edited September 2009
    Get spds mate. I was reluctant at first but it was one of the best things ive done.

Or...dont forget your shin pads! :)
  • i no but i use my bike for everything nd its more practical to have flats
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    get some sticky shoes like vans waffle sole orsom 5 10s

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did exactly the same thing, took supersonics advice and got some footy shin pads.. they work a treat.. and a snip at £3.99 sports direct..;)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I use shimano m545 spd's you can ride them with flats aswell :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use DC skate shoes, or Duffs skate shoes, they have a criss cross sole on them so quite sticky... but they wear out quick... +1 for Vans waffle soles....again they wear quick but better than forking out for a pair of £100 jobs
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i use the shimano mp56 shoes...about 35 quid....decent sticky sole coupled with v8's and that gives plenty grip.

wouldn't mind trying a pair of 510s though...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I can't recommend 5-10's enough. I used to ride with SPD's and although I've not ridden flats with anything else, a mate of mine who used to use Vans, and who has also recently purchased a pair can't believe the difference in grip.

Alternatively you could get some Stealth Rubber put on your normal trainers.....

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/cycl ... repair.php

No scars on my shins, but I must remember to stop hitting myself in the back of the leg when pushing the bike, pedal pins just rip flesh.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Soul Boy wrote:
    I can't recommend 5-10's enough. I used to ride with SPD's and although I've not ridden flats with anything else, a mate of mine who used to use Vans, and who has also recently purchased a pair can't believe the difference in grip.

First I was amazed by the difference in grip... Then after a while I was amazed again, by the fact that it doesn't make any practical difference for me :lol: As long as your shoes are reasonably suitable, your pedals are decent and your footwork's up to scratch, your feet shouldn't slip unless you lift your foot, and at that point no amount of grip makes a difference. So, though the grip does feel amazing and confidence inspiring, it's just not that big a deal for me (I'm sure it would be more of a deal if I was doing full-on freeride or dh riding, but not many of us do that...) I was out riding in my old cat trail boots last night on my way to dig some holes, and even they did the job OK despite really not being very grippy.

I suspect I could go with lower pins or less pins with my 5 10s mind... That might be a good idea to try.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 661 veggie shins are great - 2010 just out so 2009 available at good prices. I took the plunge after a pedal pin lodged in my shin in cold weather - ouch
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012