Route Aberdeen - Ballater - Braemar?? Poss Inverness.

philip99a
philip99a Posts: 2,272
edited September 2009 in Tour & expedition
It's ages since I've been on this site and I hope someone Scottish (or Scotland-wise) can help.

Two of us have just greatly enjoyed cycling Edinburgh - Aberdeen and we found Aberdeen such a friendly city, we'd like to return there next year for more touring.

What's the news(ish) Deeside Way like?

http://www.cyclegrampian.co.uk/trail/deeside.html

Round here (eg the Cloud Trail in Derbyshire) ex-railway bike routes tend to be, imho, just a little bit dull. You know what they say, "without hills there are no views".

Is the Deeside Way the same or is it gorgeous? We rode the Easterly few miles of it from Peterculter into Aberdeen and that was very pleasant, the track was high above the river valley so the views were good. How is it further west??

Also after Ballater is the route OK to Braemar? There seems to be the B976 part of the way but then only the main A98. Is that a busy ie dangerous road??

We would like to get to (or possibly start from) Inverness. The A939 running north from Ballater would get us to Nairn. Is the A939 a severe, ie extremely hilly, route?? I am no hill-monkey!
Cycling - the most fun you can have sitting down.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Never cycled round there but I can tell you that the road to Braemar (A93, I presume that's what you meant) is a good road, mostly quite wide and traffic fairly light (some lorries and quite a lot of coaches though!) and great scenery.
    As for the A939, it's a legend! I can assure you that it is hillier than your average ex-railway cycle path, check out
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ballater-to-Tomintoul (and you're not nearly there once you get to Tomintoul either).
    The first sign of winter in Scotland is the travel news on the radio starting with "the A939 Cockbridge-Tomintoul road is closed due to snow at..."
  • If you're no climber, I'd say it's two miles of walking on A939 from Cock Bridge to the Ski Station where the descent to Tomintoul starts. So you might consider going west to Inchrory then north but you'll need a MTB/tourer - proper roughstuff!
  • philip99a
    Wow, this A939 sounds pretty good stuff! I like a challenge. Just need to get a bit fitter..... can't be that much different from riding round Leicestershire!
    Has anyone on this Forum ridden the awesome A939 (say between May and October)?

Oh and Yes, now that I've got my reading glasses on, I realise that I did mean the A93 to Braemar.
  • Oops, I must change my specs- how did Cock turn into fool? Without luggage the Lecht is rideable but otherwise I admit defeat within the first 3 corners after the pub. Walk a bit ride a bit.

A further warning - before you get to Cock Bridge (via either A939 or B976) from Ballater there are The Strone and/or Tom Dubh plus intermediate climbs - plenty of reasons to admire the views
  • Now I understand c**k is rude (so replaced by fool) make that C O C K B R I D G E
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    chasctc wrote:
    Now I understand c**k is rude (so replaced by fool) make that C O C K B R I D G E
    Is there actually a check? Reminds me of the (probably urban legendary) early days of internet filtering, when people had to start referring to Sconthorpe to avoid the pattern matchers.
  • I ride the A939 a couple of times a year and it's a great road. If you head from Braemar to Tomintoul there are three significant climbs but there are also three lovely decents :-)

This is a nice route you can take from Aberdeen:

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=19579
  • philip99a
    Many thx mercurykev esp for the route.

The elevation data looks lively. I think we'll do it next summer. Just need to up my fitness, but I bet even Lance Armstrong says that sometimes!! :D
  • The South Deeside road is the best way tro get from Aberdeen to Ballater. However, it is best to stay on the A93 North Deeside Road until you get to Milltimber and cross over at Maryculter. The run from Crathie to Tomintoul via Gainshield Bridge and the Lecht is indeed a classic. Don't forget, however, that the road from Tomintould north is via Bridge of Brown, and that is what your shorts will be when you see the hill at B of B. It is a clone of the Lecht. Enjoy.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • philip99a
    Hi Mechanic. Are you saying avoid the Deeside Way cycle track and use the normal roads instead??

Thx for the warning about the B of B hill.
  • No. In fact you can cycle the deeside way all the way from Duthie Park in Aberdeen to Peterculter. Most of it is tarmac now. That will mean you cross the road down to the river crossing at Maryculter where you pick up the South Deeside Road. Avoid the section of the South Deeside road between Aberdeen and Maryculter, it is a traffic nightmare. The SDR is much more picturesque than the A93. There is a great cafe at the farm shop at Birse and the Sign of the Black Faced Sheep in Aboyne is brill for lunch. The Station Cafe is good at Ballater if a little pricy and the Wollen Mill/cafe thing at Corgarf is also worth a stop if you fancy some top cakes before you tackle the Lecht. In Tomintoul, the Old Fire Station Cafe is the place of choice.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • philip99a
    Excellent info thx. All squirrelled away for next spring :-)