Best place for year round cycling?

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited August 2019 in The bottom bracket
Where in the world can you cycle in comfort all year round? Ideally, the weather should be mild in winter but not too hot in summer, not much rain, and with decent roads. Does such a place exist?
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Scotland, of course: not too hot in summer is a given, mild in winter - well, a lot of people would call lowest of -27 quite mild; and the roads are scenic and relatively traffic-free.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    England, it hardly goes below -5. -27 is extreamly cold. Maybe not compared to somewhere like alaska.
  • pottssteve
    Ha Ha Ha - you people kill me :D
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Velodrome?
  • freehub
    Stick to Hong Kong and roast your ass off then....
  • pottssteve
    "My name is Will, not Freehub".

How about Free Willhub then, like the film?

Such vitriol from one so young (Oh, Will Young).

I Will be in Hong Kong, roasting my arse off for the time being, but may decide to move next year. However, it's heading into Autumn now - cool, crisp, dry days with blue sky and gentle breezes - HK in Oct/Nov is a cyclist's paradise. (dmclite - are you getting this?!).
  • freehub
    How about trying North Korea?
  • pottssteve
    Been there - too cold in the winter
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Spain is usually pretty good. Basque Country and Galicia in the summer, cta. valenciana in autumn, andalucia in winter and catunya in spring.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    What about south of France - Provence perhaps?
  • Somewhere temperate, sorrounded by water to even out the possible dips you get with continental weather. The flip side is more rain and wind.

The Azores fit this description pretty well but are not used to cyclists so not the safest place to ride.

Mallorca is pretty good but can still get cold with a wind from Siberia.

What is Hawaii like?

Possibly the north island in New Zealand?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My Garage on the turbo.

Always a suitable environment.

Can get a little tedious though.
  • I used to live in coastal Southern California and that was great. The most I ever needed in winter was leg and arm warmers. Night time lows of 45-50F, days usually around 60 +/- 5F. Summer temps would still be a pleasant 70-75 many days during the summer but significantly higher if you went inland. Not much rain either (except for El Nino years) but the downside being earthquakes and brush fires. Wide roads and drivers no worse than Britain as far as respect for cyclists go.
    No-one wanted to eat Patagonia Toothfish so they renamed it Chilean Sea Bass and now it's in danger of over fishing!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Wales
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dbb
    dbb Posts: 323
    Adelaide Hills (where they ride the tour down under)
    very mild winter - days of about 12-15 degrees c (no need for a winter bike!)
    very dry
    but it is best to do your riding in the summer months early as it can get a bit hot - up to 43 degrees. it is not humid though.
    regards,
    dbb
  • Melbourne Australia. Home sweet home.
    Very similar to DBB's comments on the Adelaide Hills.
    We don't usually get quite as hot in summer though.
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Crete or Cyprus, loadsa climbing an pretty quiet in the winter months
    Finished
  • I'll echo Will and go for England for all-year-round biking - Southern Europe is all well and good in the winter but personally I find it waaay too hot in the Summer. If I had a team car with 100 bottles of water alongside me on every ride then I might be ok, but I don't. The weather in England's rarely that bad, especially down south (though who in their right mind would want to live there?!).

SoCal does sound lovely though...
  • I think you acclimatise to anywhere you live after about a year - so for me it would have to be somewhere with lots of sunshine hours. My dad lives in Queensland, Australia and when we were there in June it was "mid-winter" so 19-20c each day and sunshine most days - the roadies were out in their full winter bibs and there were loads of them. In 10 days I would have seen 200-300 roadies out training - not one in a pair of shorts - all bibs. It's a fantastic place to cycle. If I could figure out how I might make a living there, it would be really tempting.
    My cycling blog: http://girodilento.com/
  • Somewhere temperate, sorrounded by water to even out the possible dips you get with continental weather. The flip side is more rain and wind.

The Azores fit this description pretty well but are not used to cyclists so not the safest place to ride.

Mallorca is pretty good but can still get cold with a wind from Siberia.

What is Hawaii like?

Possibly the north island in New Zealand?

Well in Auckland I find it's never cold enough for longs, knee warmers are fine in the winter here. But NZ's not the safest place for cycling. I think you just get used to weather and dress appropriately, I always find wind is the worst, cold's not so bad.
  • timb64
    timb64 Posts: 248
    East Anglia - best climate in the UK and very few hills!!
  • Another vote for the UK. OK so it rains sometimes, but we hardly get tropical downpours. The weather (in the south at least) is cool to warm in the summer and not exactly freezing in the winter. There isn't very often snow (anymore).

Southern Europe is too hot in the summer, I used to live in Japan and the terrain is too mountainous and the weather too hot and humid in summer (like HK). I wasn't impressed with the weather in San Fran and So Cal when I was there, it's a bit hot in the summer. Melbourne and Southern Australia, again too hot in the summer and I really don't know where people cycle in Australia, outside the major cities, every road outside the towns and cities seems to be a major dual carriageway which just stretches into the distance, not exactly scenic. East coast of the US - too cold and snowy in winter and too hot and humid in summer.

No, the UK and other countries in NW Europe possibly are the way to go.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • guidodg
    guidodg Posts: 10
    going to the Azores for a month...will report back
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,497
    Canary Islands?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    let's check back in another ten years or so
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Italy

#totesobvs
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    Aye, what's a decade between posts?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    orraloon wrote:
    Aye, what's a decade between posts?
    Gives time for global warming to take effect
  • guidodg
    guidodg Posts: 10
    I lived in Cape Town for 40 years before moving to Italy....there I rode all year round , pretty nice weather but too much crime now
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    I've been mountain and road biking in Seoul and in Taiwan - both pretty good. No idea of the weather though just brief trips during an extended holiday.