Freire to quit after 2010

FJS
FJS Posts: 4,820
edited September 2009 in Pro race
Freire just announced he quits cycling at the end of 2010, when his Rabo contract terminates.

If you look at his palmares its incredible, but still I can't help feeling he hasn't really made much progress after his early career world championship wins. But perhaps that's not a bad thing, better than sprinters suddenly turning into TT and GC winners :roll: .
Still two chances to take the world championship wins record.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I cant remember the last time I saw him to be honest ? He does excel at the Worlds though.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    He has been plagued with injuries over the years, mainly back problems.
    M.Rushton
  • bipedal
    bipedal Posts: 466
    He's been quiet this year I guess, but Green jersey in 2008 shows he isn't too shabby these days

It'll be sad to see him go
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Funnily enough I saw him last night. Was doing a light spin on the Turbo and had the 2006 Tour DVD on when Landis had his miraculous stage win in the Alps. Oscar was doing well to stick with Landis until the final TT, then gets the title by default when Landis was kicked out. I quite like Oscar's riding style and it's a shame he didn't achieve more in his career.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    sampras38 wrote:
    Funnily enough I saw him last night. Was doing a light spin on the Turbo and had the 2006 Tour DVD on when Landis had his miraculous stage win in the Alps. Oscar was doing well to stick with Landis until the final TT, then gets the title by default when Landis was kicked out. I quite like Oscar's riding style and it's a shame he didn't achieve more in his career.

You've got the wrong Ocsar there.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    RichN95 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

You've got the wrong Ocsar there.

Oh god, I have as well.

What a plum..;-)
  • Just catching up with the forum after night shift.
    I was wondering how on earth was Friere keeping up with Landis!!
    A very good Palmaries for someone who would have dropped out of the pro ranks (his team was folding) if it wern't for that worlds performance (win).
    Was it really 10 years ago? !!!
    so many cols,so little time!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Hasn't he (Friere) won the World Champ 3 times? and the green jersey at least once.
    M.Rushton
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    3 Worlds, 2 Milan-Sanremo, 1 Green Jersey, not too shabby at all. Most of us would settle for that Palmares.

Would love to see him make it 4, spend his lasat season in the ranbow jersey, and perhaps Spain would finally recognise that he's a bigger name than Valverde et al.