ToB route timings

amaferanga
amaferanga Posts: 6,789
edited September 2009 in Pro race
I'm thinking of heading up towards York to watch the first stage of the ToB at Kilnwick Percy (104km in) and then the finish in York. The timings are on the ToB website, but I'm just wondering how approximate they are. Give or take half an hour or better? Or are they very approximate?
More problems but still living....

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    If you go on the website, there is an option to download the race manual. This gives more detailed info, including projected timings based on three different average speeds. If you get there well before the fastest projection you should be ok.
  • amaferanga
    Got it. Thanks.
  • Yorkman
    Yorkman Posts: 290
    15 mins from Kilnwick percy to the York outer ring road.

Getting across that, into York and parked up for the finish will be a close call.

It's not the easiest area to get to, the finish.

As an aside, which team is racing in gold & black? Saw a chaingang of 6 of them riding the route from Beverley to Pocklington this morning.

It wasn't Halfords, unless they've got new kit for this event.
  • Black 'n gold sounds most like Halfords to me. You can see images of all the jerseys on the ToB website if that helps you identify them. Wouldn't have thought any of the foreign teams will be in the UK already, as they usually arrive late Thurs/early Fri.
  • Yorkman
    Black 'n gold sounds most like Halfords to me. You can see images of all the jerseys on the ToB website if that helps you identify them. Wouldn't have thought any of the foreign teams will be in the UK already, as they usually arrive late Thurs/early Fri.

Cheers for that - pretty certain it was the ISD kit, albeit long sleeved/winter stuff.

Definitely not Halfords.
  • amaferanga
    Yorkman wrote:

Getting across that, into York and parked up for the finish will be a close call.

As an aside, which team is racing in gold & black? Saw a chaingang of 6 of them riding the route from Beverley to Pocklington this morning.

I'll be on my bike. Kilnwick Percy is 70km from the finish. York is about 30km direct so can't see any problem getting to the finish on time.
  • Yorkman
    amaferanga wrote:
    Yorkman wrote:

I'll be on my bike. Kilnwick Percy is 70km from the finish. York is about 30km direct so can't see any problem getting to the finish on time.

Yeah, it's dead easy.

The best way, to avoid the heavy A1079 is to take the unclassified road from Kilnwick Percy to Millington and head to York from there via Stamford Bridge and Murton, crossing under the A 64 on the small road from Murton to Osbaldwick. It's our usual route in/out of that side of York if heading out into the Hills, and avoids problems of any road closures.
  • amaferanga
    Thanks for that - I was thinking of using the A1079 just cos it'd be quicker. Is it quite an unpleasant road? I guess most main roads into York will be on a Saturday afternoon will be busy, but is it one to avoid at all costs?
  • I haven't lived in York since the early 1990's, but those unclassified roads across country are pretty small, you could get horribly lost without a good map. You could also drop back into Pocklington (but that would be on the race route, mind you) & head to Fangfoss then Stamford Bridge & the Osbaldwick route. Another alternative is the southern B road through Elvington (joined just north of Sutton Upon Derwent).
  • amaferanga
    I haven't lived in York since the early 1990's, but those unclassified roads across country are pretty small, you could get horribly lost without a good map.

Or a good GPS :)
  • Yorkman
    amaferanga wrote:
    Thanks for that - I was thinking of using the A1079 just cos it'd be quicker. Is it quite an unpleasant road? I guess most main roads into York will be on a Saturday afternoon will be busy, but is it one to avoid at all costs?

1079 is horrific.

And you'd have to ride along murder mile, too, which should be self explanatory.

KP - Millington - meltonby - Yapham - stamford bridge - holtby - murton - osbaldwick - then straight down melrosegate and the finish line will be straight ahead.