Ribble TT frame as part of a fixed wheel build

cujo101
cujo101 Posts: 23
edited October 2009 in Road general
I'm considering buying a Ribble TT frame and using it to build a fixed wheel bike. Has anyone bought one of these to ride fixed? The frame looks like a bit of a bargain and I'm after some opinions.

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well like any bike with vertical dropouts, it'll be tricky to get the right chain tension for a fixie. You should be able to get singlespeed with a chain tensioner that bolts onto the rear mech hanger - it's pretty inelegant, but works well.

You can't use those tensioners with fixed wheel though.

Are you just looking to give fixed testing a go or is this a definite move? What I'm trying to get at is if it's a serious decision to run a fixed time trial bike, you could probably get a frame builder to build you a TT frame with track ends for similar money?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • The Ribble TT frame has horizontal dropouts and I've been riding ss for a while.Switching to fixed is a long term move (I've done it for a bit in the past). The frame with headset is under £115!
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Sorry - just looked at it again (the "enlarge" image isn't much bigger than the standard on their website) and yes, on closer inspection they do look to be horizontal as you said!

With that in mind it certainly looks tempting.

What are you intending to use the bike for once built? Is it to be used solely as a time trial bike, or are you after a commuter/pub bike? Depending on use it might change what else you're looking for in the frame, like mudguard eyelets and rack mounts etc.

If it's more for sensible commuting then the Pompino frame is about £125 I think, with steel forks for £35 on top - the new version's white too - I've got last year's blue one, and it's a very capable commuting machine. Will be racing it cyclo-cross later this year hopefully too (with a freewheel!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • It will mainly be for commuting (I own a genesis flyer - ss) - I got enough parts that I've picked up over the last couple of months - Sugino Messenger crankset and bb, Reynolds Ouzo Comp fork, seatpost, saddle, stem and bars. I met someone a while back that had a fixed build based around a Dolan TT frame which looked very impressive. The idea of putting together my own build really appeals.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Hi cujo, I have built a fixed with the Ribble frame, http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12626460 It works well and has made a nice light bike.

Here is a link to the thread http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12626460 I was on the learning curve building my first bike.
  • Thanks Ince,
    I just read your thread and it helps a great deal (and what a fine looking fixed build!). I've managed to get a Sugino Messenger crankset and a Reynolds Ouzu Comp fork over the last couple of weeks but seeing someone's else's build based on the TT frame really does provide some inspiration. I've found the lack of info on the Ribble site a little worrying but at £98 including postage I can't really complain.
  • ince
    Thanks, I'm more than happy with the out come of my first build. Stil have a few jobs to sort, the headset needs for tinkering and I have a new saddle on the was as the one that is fitted in the pic is not nice.

Yep the lack of info didn't help in the start. I found once I strated to read up, the Sheldon Brown site was a great help in working out what was what it all went togeather with ease.

I was looking at the sugino gear on ebay then a stronglight nos crank came up at the right size and price so I took a punt on it and so far it's been spot on. :D
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I like the look of that Ribble.

What size frame did you go for? Any idea what the top tube length is for the S/M/L frame sizes?
    More problems but still living....
  • ince
    I went for the small frame size, top tube length from the centre of the seat tube to the centre of the head stock is 52cm approx.

I'm 5'6" and the frame size is fine. Feels compact after riding my 52cm frame Gt.