Wheel build recommendation?

Specialized Needs
Specialized Needs Posts: 802
edited September 2009 in The workshop
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced and helpful wheel builder in SE London/NW Kent area?

I've just spotted a crack near one of the spoke nipples on my rear wheel :cry:

Stuart

Comments

• never used him but i think this guy is supposed to be good.
    http://www.rstocker.freeserve.co.uk/harry.htm

What about North or central London anyone? Are Condor any use for that sort of thing or do you have to be a fashion victim on a fixie for them to be interested?
  • Many thanks for that - I may give him a call. A bit further away than I'd hoped but he does appear to have some good write ups. I'll have a look for central London, too as I work in Victoria area.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yup, HR is supposed to be good.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • it's building a wheel, not witchcraft...

anyone with enough time and the correct tools can make an excellent wheel. If you want a good job speak to the guy who is going to do the ACTUAL build and explain that you really prioritise the reliability then ask them to really take their time and give them a pack of biccies as a bribe.

I've found that every shop i've got wheels from does an excellent job I usually ask for a BMXer or dirt jumper to build mine as they tend to build their own wheels and really give theirs a lot of hammer.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Of course Condor build wheels :roll: .

If you are nice about it Monty might even sort it for you although he was only working part time last autumn, but I'm some else in the workshop could easily do it who will probably have been trained by him. You may well have to book it in though as they are often busy.

I have never had a problem with ANY of the wheels he has built. They haven't even needed truing and remain straight to this day.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.